 Off-Topic / Fun / 7159
7158  |  7160
Subject:
The Gygax Legacy (was: mech legality)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 19:44:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

After a disastrous overproduction of really, really sub-standard fiction,

  You mean, *more* substandard than what was already coming
  out of millions of AD&D gaming sessions around the world?
  Whoa, that sucks. :)

  Having worked in a hobby/gaming for an annoying length of time, I've been
exposed to far too much garbage nee fantasy fiction.  Ed Greenwood tops the
list of awful book producers (I hate to call him a writer), closely followed
by everything else I ever saw come out of TSR's fiction machine.

Dungeons and Dragons is now in its 3rd edition, but the game itself hasn't
recovered from the new-release-hiatus it suffered a few years back.  TSR is
still the producer of AD&D and the like, but it is a subsidiary company of WotC.

  You know, I sometimes can appreciate justice.  Steve Jackson
  keeps humming along, but the grouper that was TSR got angled
  right out of the water.  The victory of substance over flash
  will be cemented the day we see a TSR/Pokémon crossover.  :)

  GURPS is weird.  I have, in a box in my attic, about 40 GURPS books, but
I've never played it.  It was a brisk seller at the hobby store, but no one
else ever seemed to play it, either.  I think they're popular because the
info is so cool and is so readily applied to other systems (generic AND
universal!).

  Dave!