 Off-Topic / Fun / 7176
Re: mech legalities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 15:34:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Oh no, the learning curve is extremely steep with GURPS - you have to be
familiar with a lot to design a character.  With D&D just roll a few dice,
and maybe read the first level spells.  The rest you can learn as you go
along.  I could get people going in D&D in minutes, but GURPS was a much
longer process die to the complexity of character design.  Champions was
even worse in that regard.

OK, I see what you mean.  You're right - building characters in GURPS
usually takes one entire session.  Hopefully, the *first* game session.
;)

But I like the results of having a characters which is translated into
GURPS terminology, rather than being assigned a set of stats and a
character class.

Regardless of the game system, the best characters are built, not
rolled.

Steve