 Off-Topic / Fun / 7165
Re: mech legalities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 21:56:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Being a long-time GURPS (oh geez, now I gotta explain more initials to the
looky-loos: Generic Universal Role Playing System) fan, I'm glad Evil Stevie
is still around, but starting out a 10 year old in GURPs is a bit difficult.
There's something to be said for handing him some dice, giving him a few
odds and ends to start with, and letting him go.

Really?  I always thought GURPS was simpler to learn and use, because
the overall structure was simpler.  Everything is right there on the
character sheet, so even if you don't know all the possibilities, you
can still play a character pretty easily.  With (A)D&D, you need to be
thoroughly familiar with the manuals, at least to the point of being
able to quickly find the specific arcane rule you need at that
particular moment.

Steve

Oh no, the learning curve is extremely steep with GURPS - you have to be
familiar with a lot to design a character.  With D&D just roll a few dice,
and maybe read the first level spells.  The rest you can learn as you go
along.  I could get people going in D&D in minutes, but GURPS was a much
longer process die to the complexity of character design.  Champions was
even worse in that regard.

Bruce