 Off-Topic / Fun / 7157
Re: mech legalities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 18:46:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.general, Kenneth A. Drumm, Ph.D. writes:
Speaking of TSR are they still around?

After a disastrous overproduction of really, really sub-standard fiction,

   You mean, *more* substandard than what was already coming
   out of millions of AD&D gaming sessions around the world?
   Whoa, that sucks. :)

resulting in a huge return of stock by such low-visibility companies as B.
Dalton and others, TSR teetered on the brink on non-existence for between 6
and 12 months.  Wizards of the Coast, operating with capital gleaned from
Magic: The Cash Cow, purchased the foundering company and began releasing
product again.

   Hah!  TSR swallowed by an amoeba!  How fitting.

Dungeons and Dragons is now in its 3rd edition, but the game itself hasn't
recovered from the new-release-hiatus it suffered a few years back.  TSR is
still the producer of AD&D and the like, but it is a subsidiary company of WotC.

   You know, I sometimes can appreciate justice.  Steve Jackson
   keeps humming along, but the grouper that was TSR got angled
   right out of the water.  The victory of substance over flash
   will be cemented the day we see a TSR/Pokémon crossover.  :)

   Spiffy!

   LFB