 Off-Topic / Fun / 6428
Re: Game discussion WAS: [Re: I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry....]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 19:26:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Josh & All (No, I am not going to go into a long rattle about how much
better this is to that];

I don't know what game I was referring too anymore, my brain is a little
rusty now... Anyway....

2 - Why, oh why, did Gamearts have to make Grandia 2 for the stupid
Dreamcast??

Wha--??  STUPID?  I suppose you could call the DC stupid IF you thought
games were dumb...that's an insult, because the DC is my favorite console • to
date.

No mine, but it is a good system, filled with ups and downs of any. I think
Sega is in some trouble financally, especially in Japan.

Yes, it's true.

WHAT?!  Personally, I'm glad...

I think what we were referring to is that it is adisappointment to see a
game jump systems and not be available on more.

I suppose I see your point...but a "dumb" move?  On the "stupid" dreamcast?

Well, Grandia was originally on Sega Saturn (I think), so it is basically • a
return to its roots.  Hopefully they'll port it to the PSX2...

I hear so, but this may turn into a debate <g>

Debates are not welcome by me, but civil discussion goes a long way.

Indeed.  I wasn't suggesting a debate or attempting to start one, rather I
anticipated that it might happen.  I'm for the latter, too.

I own a Dreamcast, and don't own a PS2.  The PS2 is a dreamcast that costs
twice as much, has no online capability (not yet, and it hasn't a modem),
$35 memory cards instead of $20 VMUs which have a SCREEN and BUTTONS,
virtually no interesting games (yet...maybe DOA2:Hardcore and Armored Core
II).  Oh, it has DVD, too.  DVD'd count, if the PS2 was a good gaming
machine...so it'd be a game console with a DVD player.  But since it
essentially sucks for games, it looks like a DVD player that plays games.
If I want to play games, I'll play my Dreamcast, you you want to watch • DVDs
the PS2 is good.

Well, Josh, this sounds like a typical Dreamcast fan bash on PS2, and I
won't go into a long diatribe  about it. Dreamcast is an older machine, and
PS2 has a year on it,

So what?  It doesn't seem to matter.  It has a year on it...it should
probably be said the earlier the better, in this case.  Dreamcast was the
first out, hence advantage.  Simply coming out later does not constitute
advantage, unless where greater technology advancement took place in the
time in between.  Since DC versus PS2 is not like NES versus Genesis, I'd
say the sooner, the *better*.  Genesis had quite the technological leap on
the NES...not so with PS2 on DC, as it's a DC with a DVD player.

and it has some fanastic looking games coming out for
it. Namely FF10, Grand Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, etc. And some other
facts like Code Veronica is coming out for PS2 is another indication
something is going on.

Key word is "some".  Like I said, The DC has been out earlier, and has used
the time well; already lots of great games.

There are good games on the Dreamcast as well. So I
think the game argument is a little weak, and for the other things, we will
let the market decide.

I wouldn't say weak, because the DC has many as the PS2 has few.

My point is that the Dreamcast is half as much, and does more, better than
the PS2, as long as it's GAMES you want.  The Dreamcast is even free when
you sign up for SegaNet.

Not really free. You have to buy the online subscription fee, so you end up
spending more in the end.

Like I said, when you *sign up for seganet*.  I didn't say you got
everything free, I said a DC was when you signed up.

It's not like it's meant to be a cheaper way to get a Dreamcast.  It's
supposed to be a good deal for people who will use it's modem.  Personally I
think it's a must (ahem...Phantasy Star Online).

I'm sorry, I'm usually real excited about new console launches, try to be
the first in line, etc...and LIKE it when a new system comes out, but I
couldn't with the PS2.  There were no games I wanted to buy that would
justify the $300 purchase plus I had a DC with more good games than I can
afford.

I'm not biased or anything...

Now Josh, based on your statements on this stated before hand, this is
starting to sound like an Al Gore core of truth statement. But I
digress..... : )

Seriously.  PS2 is the first system I didn't *want* (I've wanted more than
I've purchased).

and I think it's sad I couldn't like
the PS2, because I would have liked to have been able to.

I think you are missing out on a good console, but the choice is yours. For
me, A PS 1 unit, a PS2 unit, and a DVD player combined for 300.00 is a
pretty good deal, and the future looks good in terms of strategy and games,
even with production problems. As a Nintendo 64 fan and a PS 1 fan as well,
I am glad for competition in the video game market. There is no denying that
Sega has made a good product, and has good games, but it is not doing well
in Japan, and it is losing a lot of money at this point. There is
speculation that some Dreamcast games will have a version go to PS2. And the
fact that X-box will come out swinging too. I am looking forward to the new
Nintendo console as well. When there is a lot of competition, we as
consumers get the most bang for the buck. We shall see who comes out on top.
Fair enough?

The big thing that gets me is the price.  I do know the PS2 will eventually
catch up to the DC in terms of games and things, but it sure as hell hasn't
yet, or looks it in the near future.  I could buy another console for the
games that it DOES have, except the PS2 is too expensive to buy as an
afterthought.  The dreamcast has plenty of good games, more than I could
afford anyway.  I really like the PSX compatability, and would love a PS2 to
catch up on all the PSX games I missed (Final Fantasy<blank>)but with the DC
at $150 it just looks like cheesy hardware because the DC is just as good.

I have not yet bought a PS2 as of yet, I am waiting for Meijer to get it in
so I can get my discount on it. I have been in line for SNES, N64, etc. and
I can wait.

Unfortunately, I think if Grandia II came out on PS2 exlusively, I'd have • to
buy it :^( .  And I don't feel like shelling $300 for what I already have
but worse with an extra DVD player.  So, I'm glad it's on the DC. • Best-case
scenario?  All games come out for all systems, everybodys happy.  But, • then
you only need one console.

That might be the future, and is it a bad thing from a consumers point and a
developers point? I don't think so.

I didn't say it'd be a bad thing...I meant it'd totally contradict the way
things are now (soon there will be 4 consoles total...PS2, DC, X-Box and GC,
more if you count the practicially dead -but not yet- N64 and PSX).  I doubt
thats the future, anyway...if any one console stays alone on top for any
given time, you can bet some company will churn out something else and try
to top it.

Why would you want a game to come out for the PS2?  For an exuse to buy
it?

I don't understand the question, there are several games I want to buy for
the PS2 already, see above for the listings.

I follow.

Well, Josh, interesting discussion, but as a final thought, I do remember a
old Sega commerical from several moons ago, when the SNES first came out. It
showed the ten or so SNES games (The gray cartridges at least), and a whole
bunch of games out for the Sega Genesis or Master System, I can't recall
which, and said that the Sega whatever was superior because it had more
games. Well, as you know, we know what happened to that system, and time
will tell what will happen to the Dreamcast.

The same thing happened to the SNES.  Bad example.  And...the Dreamcast will
die, like all systems.

Quantity does not mean Quality,

Thats right...your point being?  That doesn't add a thing here...I'm not
mentioning tons of DC games, good or bad.  I did say there are more good DC
games than I can afford, and so little PS2 I don't know what to buy on it.
If it wern't for the PS2 I'd likely buy or already have a PSX, because I'd
like to play it's games...but I can't justify the PS2 purchase because there
are no good PS2 games (DOA2:Hardcore and the like don't sway be by
themselves).  But then...with the PS2, I can't justify an old PSX!  Arghh!

and this argument sounds suspiciously like this old one, from many moons
ago.

Huh?  Which?

--Josh