 Off-Topic / Fun / 6702
Re: Game discussion WAS: [Re: I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry....]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 04:31:10 GMT

Josh,

Well, in summary of this post, since Sega has pulled the plug on the
Dreamcast now, and I have secured a PS2 finally, I finally found this to
wrap this up.

I suppose I see your point...but a "dumb" move?  On the "stupid"
dreamcast?

This comment, made by Jeff, I believe, was a ill-conceived move by the
makers of grandia, in light of this announcement. He was very diapoointed,
and I thought it was a bad business move. That's all. I think the market
provided the final verdict of the Dreamcast.

So what?  It doesn't seem to matter.  It has a year on it...it should
probably be said the earlier the better, in this case.  Dreamcast was the
first out, hence advantage.  Simply coming out later does not constitute
advantage, unless where greater technology advancement took place in the
time in between.  Since DC versus PS2 is not like NES versus Genesis, I'd
say the sooner, the *better*.  Genesis had quite the technological leap on
the NES...not so with PS2 on DC, as it's a DC with a DVD player.

It is not a DC with a DVD player. Sales of the PS2 have been out of sight,
and the Dreamcast is dead, and Sega is planning on porting games to the PS2.
I say the better machine won. Sorry.>

Key word is "some".  Like I said, The DC has been out earlier, and has • used
the time well; already lots of great games.

Not really a lot of good games, a few good games, a lot of bad games
(Playstation had the same ratio, some good games, some all right games, a
lot of awful games) This is a tried argument as well, I have heard it since
the beginning of the game industry, on all the systems, from the beginning.

There are good games on the Dreamcast as well. So I
think the game argument is a little weak, and for the other things, we • will
let the market decide.

I wouldn't say weak, because the DC has many as the PS2 has few.

You keep on defending the Dreamcast, which is fine by me, albeit the sales,
the overall impact of both systems on the market, and the recent decision by
Sega. There are some good games on the Dreamcast, and there has been some
innovation by the games, but the market has spoken. I don't really know what
to say anymore, as the PS2 sales and games are growing this year, while Sega
is going out of business, I have to conclude that the Dreamcast is a good
system, which had some success, but has failed in the Japanese market, and
know in the US market, while the Sony Playstation and Playstation 2 have won
this round. Nice try, but it is over now.

Like I said, when you *sign up for seganet*.  I didn't say you got
everything free, I said a DC was when you signed up.

Seriously.  PS2 is the first system I didn't *want* (I've wanted more than
I've purchased).

Your loss, IMHO. What will you do now?

The big thing that gets me is the price.  I do know the PS2 will • eventually
catch up to the DC in terms of games and things, but it sure as hell • hasn't
yet, or looks it in the near future.  I could buy another console for the
games that it DOES have, except the PS2 is too expensive to buy as an
afterthought.  The dreamcast has plenty of good games, more than I could
afford anyway.  I really like the PSX compatability, and would love a PS2 • to
catch up on all the PSX games I missed (Final Fantasy<blank>)but with the • DC
at $150 it just looks like cheesy hardware because the DC is just as good.

*sigh* Josh, you obviously have been trying to defend a sinking boat, and
the ship has gone under. This argument, (whether it be the cost argument,
the more games argument, etc. I have heard them all over my 20 years as a
game playing fan) which Sega fans have been making since the Master system,
has no merit now, nor when it was Genesis vs. SNES, nor now when it is the
Dreamcast vs. PS2. Having played both now, PS2, as far as I am concerned, is
a better system, with PS1 capability, a DVD player, and a PS2 unit combined,
which easily makes a great value for $300.00. If you disagree that is fine,
but the reality is the market has spoken, and has concluded that the PS2 is
better. If you diagree with that, that is your opinion, but the facts stand.

Unfortunately, I think if Grandia II came out on PS2 exlusively, I'd • have
buy it :^( .  And I don't feel like shelling $300 for what I already • have
but worse with an extra DVD player.  So, I'm glad it's on the DC. • Best-case
scenario?  All games come out for all systems, everybodys happy.  But, • then
you only need one console.

You keep on saying that it costs more, it sucks, it is a Dreamcast with a
DVD player, which it is not, etc., but you must be aware that consoles
always go down in price, and that the game selections for any system go up
as the years progress, right? You seem to indicate it will not for the PS2.
The rumors are there already when the X-Box comes out, the prices and
everything will drop.  Don't buy it if you don't want to, I cannot make you
do anything, but I bought one, and I am happy with it.

In conclusion, I think the market has spoken, the Dreamcast is dead, and I
am looking forward to this year, when many games will be coming out that I
will want to buy for the PS2, and I will be looking forward to when Sega
gets some games over to the PS2 as well, so I don't need to buy a Dreamcast.
One interesting one is 4x4 Evo, as it has both a Suburban and a Ford Escape
in it so my wife and I can race our own respective vehicles against each
other, heh heh.  I also am enjoying getting a few movies on DVD now, and the
fact that it has a digital output for my Minidisc player, so I can record
movies to listen to on it! : )

I think Sega had a good machine when it came out, but did some bad
marketing, and had too many games that were available on other systems.
There have been some incredible games on the Dreamcast, but it was not
enough to keep it afloat. Dreamcast was a good system, an it will always
leave an impression on the history of video games, but the current champion
is the PS2. I will sit back and enjoy seeing the next competition, the X-Box
vs. the PS2. That will be interesting.

Well, enjoy your Dreamcast, I will enjoy my PS2, and we can agree to
disagree on somethings, and whatever. Have a good night!

Scott "Who is enjoying playing TEKKEN Bowling for some reason" S.
--
Personal Page: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html
LEGO Index Page: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/legoindex.html