 Off-Topic / Fun / 6703
Re: Game discussion WAS: [Re: I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry....]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:16:28 GMT

In article <02f101c09e1a$9f0de480$abd41f26@default>,
Scott E. Sanburn <ssanburn@cleanweb.net> wrote:
It is not a DC with a DVD player. Sales of the PS2 have been out of sight,
and the Dreamcast is dead, and Sega is planning on porting games to the PS2.
I say the better machine won. Sorry.>

I don't think it's so easy as that. The console market's odd in this
fashion. The Atari 2600, for example, was technologically inferior to both
Intellivision and Colecovision, but they were on the right part of the
product cycle and did the right marketing  and sold the hell out of their
stuff. The Sega Master System was technologically superior to the NES, but
the NES sold like hotcakes. The Game Gear was incredibly beyond the Game
Boy. but Nintendo _still_ sells Game Boys.

Is the PS/2 a better system than the Dreamcast? Probably, it had about a
year longer to develop. But it also gets to cash in on the marketing
that Sony did for the PSX, which they did well enough that the PSX
still sold like hotcakes when the Dreamcast came out. It's hard to
argue that the PSX is a technologically superior system compared to
the Dreamcast, but people would rather buy PSXes than Dreamcasts for
a long time.

So I don't think it's so much "the better machine." It's "the better
licenses" and "the better marketing department."

After all, when you get down to it, Sega can build some nice machines--
the Genesis was twice the machine the SNES was [0]-- but Sega's real
problem is not that they build bad machines. Sega's problem is that
they couldn't sell _sex_, let alone game consoles.

This all being said, you should take this note with a grain of salt; I
actually bought a Dreamcast-- I play PSX games on my PC through Bleem. :)

[0] And it should've been, having been released later-- But the SNES had
better games. The best console game of all time, ever, was SNES-only.
Uniracers! (For the second best, in my book, you have set the way-back
machine to 1980 and break out Snafu on the Intellivision...) I suppose
this also should let you know I'm weird wrt game consoles. :)
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <