 Off-Topic / Fun / 4090
Re: Newest cars from Detroit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:10:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jasper Janssen writes:
Yes, I completely understand the UK is the higest price, but Finland (not
Sweeden) is the lowest price and still more expensive. Denmark has the higest
price American cars. When you add taxes, a Cadillac STS, $50,000 in the US,
will go up to $128,000.

Well, duh. Cadillacs aren't manufactured in Europe, shipping costs are
huge. Let's use something Ford-branded for comparison, they're
available over here and over there made locally.

Yes, but that is my point. Land Rover's are made in the UK yet are still
cheaper in the US. A Mercedes-Benz E430 cost $10,000 less in the US than in
Germany, even though it is made in Germany (or Austria, depends on if you
order RWD or 4WD).

Let's say Ford Focus, cause I see in a quick web search that it exists
in the US as well. A three-door ZX3, lowend, costs ~$12.280 according
to this website. That's approx 26.402 guilders at the current rate.

I would be a little more cautious about calling a Ford Focus ZX3 "low end."
Sure, it is dirt cheap, but in the US features like airbags, air-con, CD
system and such are standard equipment. A 130HP engine is standard on the ZX3,
and so are alloy wheels. All are optional in Europe.

Taxes are 17.5% sales tax, and various sundry costs another thou or so
to get it roadworthy and registered and all.

Ford.nl needs to learn how to put prices on its webpages, I think. All
I can find is that it's under (by how much isn't mentioned) 45000 for
the 5-door wagon...

A Ford Focus SE wagon is $15,580 in the US.

Ah. Here we are. A dealer website: from 33.950, excluding sundry
costs, but including sales tax. So the comparison shop price is around
29.000 guilders (after all, US prices don't include sales taxes
either..).

Yes, but our sales tax is only 6.5%