 Off-Topic / Fun / 4081
Re: Newest cars from Detroit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:53:35 GMT

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 19:49:38 GMT, "Mark Herzberg" <carorvan@aol.com>
wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jasper Janssen writes:

It is not luxury by my standards either, though the industry considers
anything above $32,000 luxury. However, you have to remember that in the US,
luxury comes in much cheaper. An Acura (Honda) 3.2TL with leather, wood, 5-
speed automatic, moonroof, 225HP V6 with TouchShift, memory seats, power
seats, and a GPS Navigational system with DVD-ROM is under $30,000. The Acura
TL Coupe (known as CL) is even cheaper with the same features. A BMW 528i

Well, nothing named Honda can ever be luxury <nudgenudgewinkwink>.

starts at under a $40,000. An Audi S4 is only $38,500 (compared to $60,000+ in
the UK). A TT cost $30,500, and a VW New Beetle with leather is under $17,000.
Even a Daewoo Leganza is loaded with wood, automatic climate control, leather,
moonroof, traction control, ABS and such for under $20,000. A V8-powered
Corvette also starts at under $38,000. The cheapest Porschse is $41,000, and a
Ford Focus ZTS sedan with all the goodies, including leather, does not even
break the $16,000 mark. And the price I paid for my Land Rover is the same as
the price in the UK. Except mine was loaded, and in the UK it is stripped. And
taxes are not that high either. There is gas-guzzler tax on some cars (not
trucks), though, and currently there is a luxury tax that is being phased out
(though it only applies to cars, not trucks).

Don't use the UK prices to compare with the US, though. The UK is
hideously overpriced by even European standards. UKers can go to the
Netherlands by Eurotunnel, order a right-hand-drive version of their
favorite cars, and drive back through Eurotunnel, get the car
reregistered for their own country and pay import duties and _still_
be 20-25% cheaper off.

Oddly, it's pinko-anarchist-enviroweenie-Sweden that has the lowest
car prices, but for the UKers that'd add another boat trip, so it's
not worthwhile.

You're right in general though - cars are slightly cheaper on your
side of the pond. Not by all that much, though, AFAIK.

In Florida, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Cadillac DeVille rank among the best-
selling cars in the state. Even a $319,000 Bentley Azure is an everyday sight.

Hoooo-kay. Is that due to all the former CEOs retiring there, or what?

Jasper