 Off-Topic / Fun / 4077
Re: Newest cars from Detroit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 19:49:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jasper Janssen writes:

Well, $30k isn't truly luxury by my standards.

It is not luxury by my standards either, though the industry considers
anything above $32,000 luxury. However, you have to remember that in the US,
luxury comes in much cheaper. An Acura (Honda) 3.2TL with leather, wood, 5-
speed automatic, moonroof, 225HP V6 with TouchShift, memory seats, power
seats, and a GPS Navigational system with DVD-ROM is under $30,000. The Acura
TL Coupe (known as CL) is even cheaper with the same features. A BMW 528i
starts at under a $40,000. An Audi S4 is only $38,500 (compared to $60,000+ in
the UK). A TT cost $30,500, and a VW New Beetle with leather is under $17,000.
Even a Daewoo Leganza is loaded with wood, automatic climate control, leather,
moonroof, traction control, ABS and such for under $20,000. A V8-powered
Corvette also starts at under $38,000. The cheapest Porschse is $41,000, and a
Ford Focus ZTS sedan with all the goodies, including leather, does not even
break the $16,000 mark. And the price I paid for my Land Rover is the same as
the price in the UK. Except mine was loaded, and in the UK it is stripped. And
taxes are not that high either. There is gas-guzzler tax on some cars (not
trucks), though, and currently there is a luxury tax that is being phased out
(though it only applies to cars, not trucks).

Only 3 times the
smallest car. I suppose it helps that I live in a neighbourhood where
the neighbourhood pub regularly disappears behind the Ferraris and
Porsches of the adjoining officeblocks, and where 30%+ of cars are
BMWs or Mercs.

In Florida, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Cadillac DeVille rank among the best-
selling cars in the state. Even a $319,000 Bentley Azure is an everyday sight.

$50k or more is necessary IMHO to be in the category
"luxury car" (which Rolls certainly fits into).

I want a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow for my next birthday.

Jasper