 Off-Topic / Fun / 4060
Re: Newest cars from Detroit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:29:19 GMT

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 00:16:40 GMT, "Mark Herzberg" <carorvan@aol.com>
wrote:

I love the Multipa. Radical and not very pretty, but oh so practical and
innovative. Though I never thought Fiat would do it., produce such a radical
car that is. I first saw the concepet in Turin and was amazed they built it.

If you want one o' them small numbers, get an A-class, a Smart, or any
of the Japanese H-types. There's plenty that's just as small, and look
a lot better. Maybe not in the US, though.

You know what the Multipla really reminds me of? Ctulhu. Seriously. It
looks like it's got tentacles.

Too bad the only Fiat's sold in the US are Maseratti's and Ferrri's. Fiat
would have a market here. America is going all over European cars. Just look
at Volkswagen, sales up more than 400% since 1993. Audi went from 12,000 in
1994 to 60,000+ in 1999. Mercedes-Benz is now the best-selling luxury car
brand in America. It even beat the American luxury car brands. And with

Mercs aren't luxury cars -- they're merely slightly upscale. Now, a
Rolls, _that_'s a luxury car. Or an Aston.

Now my _own_ what-would-I-get-if-money-was-not-an-object would be a
classic car. Bentley Speed Six. Unfortunately, there were only ~500
ever made, and only ~200-300 surviving...

Mercedes-Benz preparing the A-Class and V-Class (US will get a very different
V-Class) for the US, Mercedes-Benz should have no trouble selling a lot more
cars. The new BMW X5 truck is a hit too, although this is one type of ugly I
don't like. Porsche has especially benefited from the surge. More than 50% of
thier cars are sold in the US.

Used to be, NL was Porsches main export market. From Ferdinands first
exports to a time around the 80s, IIRC.

Oh well....

Jasper