 Off-Topic / Fun / 4082
Re: Newest cars from Detroit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:25:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jasper Janssen writes:

Well, nothing named Honda can ever be luxury <nudgenudgewinkwink>.

That is why they give it an Acura nameplate like Toyota/Lexus

Don't use the UK prices to compare with the US, though. The UK is
hideously overpriced by even European standards. UKers can go to the
Netherlands by Eurotunnel, order a right-hand-drive version of their
favorite cars, and drive back through Eurotunnel, get the car
reregistered for their own country and pay import duties and _still_
be 20-25% cheaper off.

Yes, I completely understand the UK is the higest price, but Finland (not
Sweeden) is the lowest price and still more expensive. Denmark has the higest
price American cars. When you add taxes, a Cadillac STS, $50,000 in the US,
will go up to $128,000.

Hoooo-kay. Is that due to all the former CEOs retiring there, or what?

Quite simply, Southern Florida has a huge affluent population (how else can
you explain the fact that we have more FAO Schwartz stores then WAL*MART?),
over shadowed only by Southern California. All the retired folks drive Cadies,
Rolls-Royces and Lincolns. The young ones drive the BMWs, Mercedes', and
Bentleys.

Jasper