 Off-Topic / Fun / 4073
Re: Newest cars from Detroit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 21:22:15 GMT

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 00:18:45 GMT, "Mark Herzberg" <carorvan@aol.com>
wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jasper Janssen writes:

The A-Class is not here yet, though Mercedes-Benz is preparing the launch.
DaimlerChrysler wants to open up Smart Centres in Miami, Tampa Bay, Detroit,
San Diego, LA, San Fransisco, and New York, though no launch date yet.

Trust me. The Smart may be ugly, but compared to the Multipla...

Mercs aren't luxury cars -- they're merely slightly upscale. Now, a
Rolls, _that_'s a luxury car. Or an Aston.

In the US, even though the cheapest Mercedes-Benz is $31,000 and will soon be
$25,000, it is a luxury car. Rolls-Royce is an Exotic Luxury car (though not
at all exotic in Southern California and Southern Florida) and Aston Martin is
considered a GT Touring car.

Well, $30k isn't truly luxury by my standards. Only 3 times the
smallest car. I suppose it helps that I live in a neighbourhood where
the neighbourhood pub regularly disappears behind the Ferraris and
Porsches of the adjoining officeblocks, and where 30%+ of cars are
BMWs or Mercs. $50k or more is necessary IMHO to be in the category
"luxury car" (which Rolls certainly fits into).

I want a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow for my next birthday.

Jasper