 Off-Topic / Fun / 4050
Re: Newest cars from Detroit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 03:21:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
DODGE CARAVAN-the world's most innovative car.

http://www.4adodge.com/experience/latest_news/news_caravan2001.html

I'm kind of at a loss as to what is so special about this one. So they
put a spoiler on the back, so what? This is what, a 1996 body style? At
least that's what the URL you gave shows. Perhaps they have a new body
at the auto show but why repeat Daimler marketing hype here?

You have to click on those zoom in photos. The photo you see on the exact page
is a 2000 ES model. Though the 2001 Caravan is very similar to the 1996 (which
was the point), though shares few parts. They spent $2.8 billion with the new
line. My personaly favourites are the Chrysler duo, though, the Voyager and
Town & Country. Too bad they won't be offering a short-wheelbase Town &
Country Limited in the States like they are in Europe (under the Voyager name).

Also at least one of the other sites requires macromedia flash. Blech.
Get with it, GM.

I will say this, Aztek is different, anyway. Stunningly ugly and
meetooish at the same time, but different. It looks like someone ran a
morph program on a Caravan, one of those ugly brazilian Lemanses and a
1953 citroen and kept only the bad parts. WOW is that an ugly car.

I like ugly. Like the Isuzu VEHICross. It is very unique and looks better in
person. It only looks good in yellow, though. Also, today, they debuted the
Acura MD-X, Ford Escape (a rebadged Mazda Tribute), Isuzu VEHICross VX-4 (four-
door version), 2001 Subaru Forester (what in the world was all the fuss? There
is no difference), Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder (it erases the ugly lines of the
coupe. Thank god!), Mitsubishi Montero (I used to have one of these. The new
design is great. Very edgy), Acura 3.2CL S-Type (one fast coupe, but where is
the style?), Lexus LS430 (does Lexus ever understand how to be unique), Lexus
SC (ditto), Nissan Sentra (nice little sedan), and a few others. The
dissapointing no shows were the Chrysler Sebring Sport sedan and Dodge
Stratus, they were dealyed until Chicago. Also, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class
hatchback didn't show up either, though it was at media days in Miami. One car
I love from LA that is 95% sure for production is the Buick Regal Cielo. This
car is cool! It is a foor-door Buick Regal GS with retractable panel roof. Not
like a Mercedes-Benz A-Class or M-Class, but sort of like a combination of
that and an SLK. The side profile stays, but the roof and rear window
dissapear.