 Off-Topic / Fun / 3658
Re: new millenium bugs me
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 02:48:06 GMT

I just had this argument at work. There is no year zero! At midnight on
dec31st is the year 1 BC it became 1 AD (though they didn't think of it as
such at the time) so the first decade would look like:

2bc\1bc\1ad\2ad\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\10\11

The slashes are midnights on new year's eves. In between the slashes are • years-
counted as the first one, the second one, etc.- spans of time.

The first decade is the part that is contained by:

\1ad\2ad\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\10\  counting the spans of time (years) between the
slashes shows that we have ten years, a decade. The FIRST year of the next
decade is the year 11. Extrapolating this to milleniums means that at the end
of 1000 years we were at dec31st 1000, which rolled into 1001- the first year
of THIS millenium. So 2000 is the last year fo this millenium- on dec31st
2000, 2000 years will be complete and a new millenium will start.

If we counted eggs, and had ten of them, and started with zero, then we'd only
count nine eggs.

Chris

Ok now I'm real lost here.  I was always told that B.C. stood for Before
Christ, and A.D. stood for After the Death of Christ.  If this is true, then
what happened to the 32 years that Christ lived.  Are they ever counted.
Or were they just forgotten by the romans?

Jodi