 Off-Topic / Fun / 3633
Re: new millenium bugs me
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:51:28 GMT

Mr L F Braun <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message
news:3847779B.88F0A86B@pilot.msu.edu...

"Selçuk " wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message

Similarly, people whose birthday falls on Christmas sometimes choose
another nominal birthday.

Why?..

Selçuk

Thanks for the reminder that 70% of the world is non-Christian.  Sometimes
it's easy to forget.  ;)  Happy Ramadan coming up, Selçuk.

best,

Lindsay

---

Thanks,..:-)

Actually, I'm not so much a Muslim, although I'm supposed to be so. I
educated to be one, but beginning from the teenage times, it started not to
make much sense to me (not Islam in particular, but the religion concept).
Anyway, everyone has his/her own beliefs and has the right of having it..:-)

We also celebrate the Christmas somehow. Actually, not the Christmas, but
the beginning of a new year, on 31st of December.

There is some conflict however, in celebrating both new year and being
Muslim for the last two years. I think you already know that Ramadan is the
name of a month of old calendar used by Muslim countries till the last
century, which based on the movement of moon, so it is 11 days/year shorter
than the modern calendar that we know today. This results in Ramadan changes
its position on the  by 11 days year by year. So, for the last two years,
Ramadan, during which all the Muslim people must occupy themselves with
religious things (I can't remember the exact words in English), coincides
with new year celebrations, during which drinking alcoholic beverages
(forbidden by Islam) is a well established tradition...:-)

It's somehow difficult to be a bridge between west and east (and not being
truly either one ..:-)

Selçuk

PS. In the messages before, I just wondered why two celebration could not be
at the same time period (I mean birthday and Christmas), if it is a personal
choice or a religious thing (I'm interested in traditions of different
cultures)