 Off-Topic / Fun / 3634
Re: new millenium bugs me
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:44:48 GMT

"Selçuk " wrote:

<snip>

PS. In the messages before, I just wondered why two celebration could not be
at the same time period (I mean birthday and Christmas), if it is a personal
choice or a religious thing (I'm interested in traditions of different
cultures)

Well I can explain this one somewhat for you, especially since my
birthday is Dec 20th.. I still celebrate it, though sometimes I think I
should move it to another month..
Some of the main reasons:
   You don't get a present on your birthday, you get told your birthday
and Christmas present are the same. (on the upside.. sometimes you get
much better presents)
   You get a small present for your birthday and not as much for
Christmas.. for one this is probably because of timing, not everyone
always has a lot of money around Christmas, and they figure you're
getting something else in a couple of days anyway.. which really isn't
fair because you'd get twice as much if your birthday was 5 months
earlier or later.
   Your birthday gets celebrated with Christmas and you get different
presents for each, though you don't get your own birthday.. if they
aren't going to celebrate it on the day it happened why shouldn't you
move it... makes it seem like it's not important, yet... don't miss
someone else's b-day in the family...

I would have to guess off the top of my head, this early in the morning
those are my biggest pet peeves with having a b-day so close to
christmas.. at the same time.. I could be in a different boat and like
my Grandmother and an Aunt.. and have my b-day ON Christmas day...

Others could probably relate stories about having a b-day so close
too...

--
Keep on Bricken'
-Tamy