 Off-Topic / Fun / 3659
Re: new millenium bugs me
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 04:15:04 GMT

Jodi Neal wrote:

Ok now I'm real lost here.  I was always told that B.C. stood for Before
Christ, and A.D. stood for After the Death of Christ.  If this is true, then
what happened to the 32 years that Christ lived.  Are they ever counted.
Or were they just forgotten by the romans?

Years weren't counted in a Christian manner until well after the death of Christ,
because early Christians fully expected him to return in their lifetimes. The best
estimates say that he was probably born around 4 BC.  AD doesn't mean "After
Death," but "Anno Domini"--Year of Our Lord.  So Christ could have been alive
during those years.  The Romans really don't come into the picture until
Constantine (312, 313 if you start from the Edict of Milan) with regard to
recognizing Christian annular chronometry as official.  Even then, it was probably
contentious for several centuries afterward.

best,

Lindsay

---

Lindsay Frederick Braun (Mr)