 Off-Topic / Fun / 3613
Re: new millenium bugs me
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:54:54 GMT

This thread is a pedant's dream. Somebody pinch me.

Frank Filz wrote:

Actually we count aniversaries of our birthday. You really only have one
nbirthday, and it's not your "first" birthday...

not sure what an nbirthday is... I agree that most folks only have one
birthday, and ALL folks only have one "actual" birthday.

However, there exists a class of people that have more than one
"nominal" birthday.

People born on 29 Feb often choose to celebrate on 1 Mar or 28 Feb on
those years that are not leap, so one could say they have two "nominal"
birthdays, one being the one that is actual, and one being some nominal
date that they choose to celeberate (the anniversary of) for
convenience.

Similarly, people whose birthday falls on Christmas sometimes choose
another nominal birthday.