 Off-Topic / Fun / 3499
Re: center/centre
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 00:40:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Sanjay D'Souza writes:

John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message

Not necessarily.  The city of St. Paul, MN named its  convention center
"RiverCentre".  To me it looks stupdi;-)

Aww...come on John  ;-)

The word "tremor" would look pretty stupid if it was spelt "termor",
likewise the word "tremendous" would looks equally stupid if spelt
"termendous"

Then again "termite" would look a whole lot better if it was spelt "tremite"
and "terminator" would look and sound more fearsome if spelt "treminator"

Sanjay "the Treminator" D'Souza  ;)

You do realize that the Americans are the only ones preserving one of our • vital
resourses, don't you?  The rest of the english speaking countries are
squandering their stock of the letter "u".  One day, you'll all have to come • to
us to resupply you.  Begging for "u"s.  It makes me sick just thinking about
it.

:)

Jeff "Brought to you by the letter ewe" Stembel

USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm...I think you guys will run out well before us, with the amount I times
I hear *that* chanted at every NFL, NBA, Baseball, Olympic Games, Presidential
Election, High School graduation, Rambo movie, Academy Awards ceremony,
kindergarden lunchtime, Oprah with [insert current famous heartthrob] special,
Rikki "my grandmother slept with my gay boyfriend and have run off with my
vegan doberman to set up a new age donkey-worshipping sect in Alaska" Lake
show, et al ad nauseum!!!!!!

Not that I'm against patriotism (but I am against Australian news services
treating America as the centre of the universe - not the USA's fault).

English the written and spoken language has many words derived directly from
Latin, and some words are truncated combinations of two or more Latin words.
Let' try to keep some traditions safe from change.

Let's see where this goes.

Pete Callaway.

P.S. How many Americans still think Australia is a small island just off the
coast of Hawaii??