 Off-Topic / Fun / 3486
Re: center/centre
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:42:21 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message
news:38333156.32B5ACF7@voyager.net...

Well, that's why centre looks stupid to us Ugly Americans. we pronounce
it Cen-TER rather then Cen-TRAY... so the "tre" spelling doesn't look
quite right to our eyes

Here down under we pronounce centre as you Ugly Americans (1) do.  It's
doesn't look as it sounds but I suppose people have gotten used to it.

Sanjay

(1)  Some Americans are quite nice looking...like.....ummm.....Mickey
Mouse........<scratches head>....the woman who stars on American TV show
.......you know.....with the long hair and ....ears.........oh.....not to
mention...the woman who stars in that commerical.......which screens
inbetween TV programs......the woman who has a nice pair