 Off-Topic / Fun / 3573
Re: center/centre
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 02:20:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Selçuk Göre writes:

PS. I have a question, to Washington people most probably. Do your
policemen/security guys/whatever stops the regular traffic for hours since
the president's car(convoy) is passing? Ours do for your president..:-) (you
know, Clinton is here in Turkey right now)

Long ago, Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton exchanged political favors,
and Jefferson got to go ahead and move the capitol out of New York City to its
permanent location on that swamp on the Potomac River. Washington D.C. became
the political center, while New York City went on without further distractions
to become the financial, commercial and cultural center (centre?) of the USA
(and it thinks it's even bigger than that.) As a result, the President and his
family have to travel to New York City to do their shopping or see a show.

When they do it, we know it, because early in the morning about 30 police cars
and a mile of blue wooden fences block all the Manhattan streets in a square
from 47th to 57th, between Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue, so that Hilary Clinton
can look in some store windows.

Coincidentally, it means that no one can get to the Bank of New York, which was
started by Hamilton. Tally one for Jefferson.

Of course everyone resents this abuse. So it was front page tabloid news when
Hilary strayed into a cigar bar and got ejected by the bouncers for breaking
some house rule or other. (Now she's getting even by running for Senator.)

Then there is the motorcade thing. The Presidential plane lands at the airport
and is met by a zillion motorcycles and cars with little flags. It takes about
half an hour for all this steel to roll across the East River and into
Manhattan, during which there is no way to walk north or south across the
Manhattan part of the route, which happens to bisect my walk home. This all
stops at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on Park Avenue.

I am pleased to report that the President always brings a tow truck along in
New
York City, just in case.

P.S. there used to be a financial firm here known as Centre Re. How about that?
Re is short for re-insurance.