 Off-Topic / Fun / 3498
3497  |  3499
Subject:
ghoti (was Re: Got my Battle Droid!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 19:38:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Karim Nassar writes:
According to english spelling rules it is possible to spell "fish" as "ghoti"

see if you can figure that one out! :)

--Karim (Kah-reem)

"gh" as in "rough"
"o" as in "women"
"ti" as in "motion"
<anecdote>
When (way back when) I took my first IB english course, the teacher did
something really neat on day 1.  He walked in, introduced himself, and put 4
different ways to spell fish on the board (one of which was ghoti, one was
composed of really obscure phonetic characters, I can't recall the other two
off-hand), none of which looked remotely like fish.  He then challenged the
class to identify the common element between the 4.  (He cheated a little,
because I suspect if he told us they were all the same word, someone would
have gotten it).  After a few minutes of fruitless guessing, he wrote "fish"
on the board.  He explained the connection, and then said 'This is why I love
the English language.  It is the most versatile language on the face of this
planet, and if it can't be said in English, it can't be said.'
</anecdote>

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/