 Off-Topic / Debate / 27906
Re: Eric's and Jeff's chip was (Re: Ease up on marking folders Avatar)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:02:06 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Eric Sophie wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Duane Hess wrote:

Nevermind. I can't post any free thought without having my old enemies pick on
me. If one of them does? I tell them to bugger off. Oh and I am so wrong. Just
like you.

Shut down for free thought.

Cry my a river.

No. Just tell those who like to hassle you to step aside so we can get to the
topic at hand. Calm down Duane. I added you name to the list.

Glad you liked my MOCs.

Eric,

When I first joined LUGNET, your work impressed me.  The door to communicating
with you opened up when you had a technical problem to solve for showcasing Jama
and I had the ability to assist.  Since the problem was due to physical damage
to the laptop you used, I actually lent you one, if you recall, so you would be
operational at the event in LEGOLand California.

For the next couple years, we used to get together and my kids would be
enthralled to see what you built.  They learned a lot and appreciated everything
you showed them.  Meanwhile, you seemed to value viewpoints from me about
personal, professional, and computer tech issues.  If I could lend a hand with
things technical, I did.  Otherwise, I just gave my opinion and viewpoint based
on my own experiences in life or what I could look up.

When confused about direction, I suggested things like turning your "Brickswest
or Bust" tour and into some sort book.  Or, turn the little bots into sets with
instructions.  And even to make a book about mega mech building techniques.
Considering the amount of time you banter on Lugnet, the time required for these
things should have been mere child's play--easy money.  Others have probably
told you the same.

Instead, one day, you apparently money and decided to use the fact that my
fiance wanted to buy a mini-bot for her son as a gift and then you then told me
you were making one for my son as well.  You even asked about favorite colors.
When I asked about cost, you avoided it saying you'd take care of us and would
be making them really special.

My fiance and I were elated at the honor.  We even decided that we were going to
give you some sum of money in appreciation of the material cost, especially
since there was intent to get _one_ from you.  We figured offsetting the
material cost would be the right thing to do, especially since it appeared you
were doing them gratis.

Do you remember how upset I was when, after letting the youngest play with the
bot you made for him for an hour, you took me aside to talk money!  However, I
paid you anyway and wrote the situation off.  Clearly you needed the money more
than me.  I sit in the hopes one day these bots may turn out to be a suprise
investment.

What really burned me was how foolish I was for thinking there would be a
"thanks" for hosting your brickmaster.com site for over a year.  I thought the
bots were your way of saying "thanks" for any opinions I gave you when you
solicited them.  Boy, was I wrong.

Since then, I removed myself from constant view.  It's disappointing that,
whenever I look in on LUGNET, you seem to be in the fray of some sort of
tantrum, alienating more and more people that USED to have your respect.  Every
time I see such posts, it means these custom built bots that have "Certificate
of Authenticities" signed by you are worth more as individual pieces on
bricklink.com.

Your nickname is "LEGOMASTER", not "EGOMASTER".  That means you impressed people
by showing prowess over a medium, not your character.  It doesn't make you a
leader, a god, or anything more than someone with a particular skill.  It
doesn't mean people should give you more respect for posting than anyone else.
It doesn't mean that your opinion should matter over anyone elses.  It doesn't
mean that when someone disagrees with you that it is the end of the world.  It
just means you can build with LEGOs, but all of us can do that with varying
degrees of skill.

If you continue to think you're an "artist" to be revered as Van Gogh, DaVinci,
Rembrandt, etc., then you better keep the positive impressions high enough first
before you start acting like you are due respect for what you have created.
You'll know when you reach that level because that's when the bots the kids have
will be worth more than what I cut a check for.

I made a decision two years ago (almost to the day) regarding our "friendship"
that was regrettably more right than I knew at the time.  I've proved that a
fool and his money can be quickly parted and that a friendship with a price tag
is merely a cold business transaction.

Don't bother with the "gee, silent all this time" garbage (as I've seen posted
before to others who respond out of the blue).  I'd be willing to bet that
others have been in my shoes and more will follow since I doubt you'll ever
change how you view yourself or treat people--or, more to the point, respect
their views as well.

Perhaps you should think about what people are telling you.  We're not talking
about two people who have issues with you... one can actually create a LIST by
searching your name in the news forums and taking to read the senseless rants
you post when you don't agree with someone's viewpoint.  That means the problem
is in how you deal with things and/or people, Eric--it isn't them.

That being said, here's some things to ponder (the order is insignificant):

1)  If someone doesn't agree with you, get over it.  It doesn't mean they are
against you.  You don't like it, start your own country or blog and outlaw
freedom of opinion.

2)  If someone doesn't like one of your creations, get over it.  Otherwise, see
#1.

3)  If something you're doing for someone is going to involve money, be up front
about it, clearly state the expectation and get commitment from the get go.

4)  If you're going to fuel the fire with stupid remarks telling people whether
they are allowed to post in response to you or not, then you get what you
deserve.  See #1 and add freedom of press and expression to the list.

5)  If you ask a question and get a response from a person you don't like, the
correct thing to do is say "Thanks!", "Thanks for the help!", or something
similar.  At the very least, keep quiet.

6)  Don't step in the ring if you can't handle losing.

7)  Egos are like balloons--they eventually burst.

8)  The "gee, I didn't expect that out of you!", "how could you!", "you can't
mean me!", "I'm so sad you feel that way!", and semantic games/responses are all
ways to avoid or ditch accountability by attempting to be cute.  Teenagers do
this and it's an annoying waste of time.  Suck it up and be convicted in your
own actions and words.  Anything less is being a hypocrite.

9)  If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've got.

10)  He who dies with the most toys better have enough friends/family to leave
it to.

11)  It takes less work to make enemies than it does friends.

12)  The value of something is determined by the purchaser, not the seller.

13)  If you don't stretch, you don't grow.

14)  Spend time making changes instead of griping.

15)  Pigs don't know pigs stink.

16)  Ultimately, you reap what you sow.

17)  If you're the minority, then you better be right.

18)  Celebrity and notoriety are fads.

19)  Don't complain about what you permit.

20)  Put yourself in the other person's shoes before you say they are wrong or
not justified.

This post was probably a waste of time since it has already been established
that people's viewpoints, if not congruent with your own, are rubbish.  For two
years I know of, the same stupid garbage has been going on in flux, which means
either the masses are probably not the ones with the wrong viewpoint, or you
have serious issues with being noticed.  I cannot for the life of me understand
why you, of all people, seem to draw such swings in criticism in such
predictable ways.  Even Eminem, Marilyn Manson, and Kid Rock give it a rest.
Maybe you're the Howard Stern of LUGNET.

Perhaps it's futile to hope there can be a six month timespan before there's
another temper tantrum thread, but I doubt it.  In the meantime, I'll keep
peeking in from time to time quietly perusing the things people are doing, post
when I'm irritated by some stupid and pointless topic (although I'm working on a
blog site for that purpose) or when I can provide some useful
function/information.  Maybe one day I'll have enough free time to build
something to share.

Until then...

Rob L.

PS - I don't really care what anyone else thinks of me because of this post.
It's in "off-topic debate".  Feel free to debate whether I'm right, wrong,
justified or not--It doesn't change my experiences, pay my bills, or solve world
hunger.  Somewhere out there is an economy buff waiting to rip into #12.

Disclaimer:  Statements in quotes aren't necessarily actual quotes of anyone's
posts--think of them as succint paraphrases of banter observed.  My opinions and
views are not necessarily that of anyone elses.  No animals were hurt in the
typing of this post.