 Off-Topic / Debate / 25411
  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) I have a lot of respect for Dan and what he does at BL, to call him a "crazed dictator" is silly. (...) ...because Dan saw a simple idea which he invested his time and cash in. Anyone else could have done the same (e.g Todd), but only Dan (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Dan deserves quite a bit of thanks for what he's done. However, unlike many sites, BL was created as a business venture rather than a totally benevolent effort. People pay Dan to list their wares, they're buying a service. If Dan knows what's (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Ok, that comment might have been over the top, but from my point of view, so was Dan's decision to boot Larry. (...) I'm not debating that BrickLink helped the hobby, I've certainly benefited from it's presence. As for Thanks, I thanked him (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Look at what has happened. The seller deliberately continued to break the ToS! Given that Dan has a duty to protect buyers; how else could he react? You appear to be suggesting he should have renegotiated the ToS!? Scott A (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Even when a seller deliberately continues to break the ToS, and as a result potentially disenfranchises buyers? (...) Perhaps somebody should compete? One could argue that BL is too big now, and that a basic "sets only" or "minifig only" (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) I think its clear to me and everyone else that if there were other names involved in this, there would be no discussion. However, as this thread goes on, there is more and more speculation, name calling, flaming, etc. going on. Since Dave and (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) In my whole life I have never corresponded with a more ardent proponent of the free market system than Lar, so I'm confident that Lar would assert that Bricklink is not a natural monopoly. As such, if the market will bear a second online bulk (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) **snip** We Daves know many stories, some of them true. I suspect that you probably meant Dan in this context, but on behalf of my namesakes I thank you for including us! Dave! (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

My post was based only on undisputed comments. Scott A (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) No ... he was attempting to comply with the ToS and proposed a solution when he was cut off at the knees. That's my belief having read the discussion *and* having spoken with Lar. I'll defend him based on the interactions I've observed (recent (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) No -- it is not undisputed that the reason he was banned was a TOS violation. He broke it, was corrected, and made an earnest attempt to comply. After his attempt to comply he was banned without recourse. -Tim (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Another flaw Tim - Dan DOES NOT see Larry as a "good-faith" anything! He proved that in not only his words, but his actions. What you think Larry is, or not is is 100% pointless! You need to understand that. The only person view that matters (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) Yes, read his very words: "Dan informed me yesterday that I needed to remove that wording as it's a ToS violation. I responded with a suggestion for a different approach." Scott A (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops.

(...) Can you please define what you mean by "earnest"? Are you saying his "earnest attempt" put him inside the ToS? (...) You or I would have deleted the whole of the text and shrugged the matter off. Larry tried to play it smart and it backfired. (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) The following posts shed light on this: (URL) on these, I don't believe that Larry's correction was earnest, but rather calculating. My guess (yes, it's a guess)is that it was the phrase "Until perpetual stock is implemented," that was the (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops.

(...) It does not matter what Tim thinks is inside or outside the ToS. It is not his call to make. Obviously, Dan thought it was not inline with the ToS - and thats really the only view that means anything here - right? Mark P LoB (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops.

(...) Given that Tim wants to line Larry up for martyrdom: NO. ;) Scott A (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops.

(...) Mark, What are you trying to gain by the repetition of this idea? We get it. You think that we don't have a right to an opinion. I happen to disagree. If you're merely pointing out that we don't have the power to change anything over at BL, (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) And until Dan speaks up, we'll never know. Personally, *with what I currently have to go on*, Dan's reaction was overblown, and Larry's attempt to meet ToS was earnest. Only Dan can prove that wrong. -- Tom Stangl *(URL) Visual FAQ home *(URL) (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops.

(...) Chris - I have said countless times in the last few days in direct regards to this situation - I am not trying to tell anybody they can not have, or voice thier opinion. But when you base your opinion on false information that some people (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops.

(...) I would say that it would be more productive to ask Dan to state his side of the story, rather than try to convince everyone else to shut up. The only way we will get Dan's side of the story is if *Dan speaks up*. If he does not, BL's (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops.

(...) Tom, do me a favor - copy this over, paste in in your word editor, print it up and post it above your monitor: I am not, and have not told anybody to shut up. I have not, and am not telling anybody to not have or voice their opinion. Can you (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: suspended Bricklink shops

(...) And some of them not true, but hilariously funny, nonetheless. (...) Normally I'd probably agree, but in this situation I kinda feel like I've been "included" on a field trip to the local minefield... "No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)