 Off-Topic / Debate / 15235
Re: for the eyes of Suz (Was Re: For the Eyes of Alfred Speredelozzi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:24:44 GMT

Hmmmmmmmmm,

Well I can't say I agree totally with everything being said here;

I know I haven't been here as long as most of you, but I'll reply nonetheless.

I still view LUGNET as the center of the lego universe, I come here
everyday, read lot's, but don't reply as much as I should, but that's beside
the point.

Whenever I see soemthing neat on BS, I almost always feel like asking Kevin
to give me their e-mail address (even though that's not possible) and making
them aware of LUGNET, and if they are already aware, and just nervous to
post or something, inviting them to come in and join the fun.

It could be that because I've only been posting here a year and a half, that
the 'kid in the candy store' mentality hasn't worn off yet, but even still,
I don't think it ever will.

My mentality could also be a reflection of the newsgroups I read,
build.mecha, and build.military, both of those newsgroups are constantly
offering something fresh and original, almost always it's something never
before seen or done. I'm not saying that other newsgroups don't provide that
same sort of thing, but a building can only get so high, now this is
definitely a personal bias. But regardless, I think that my mentality just
might be a reflection of the newsgroups I read. Also, both of those
newsgroups are fairly new, and the idea to take lego to mecha, is still a
fairly fresh idea. The build.military group was only founded in september,
so it's nowhere near old.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one here that's been here a year or
two, that hasn't lost that 'kid in the candy store' mentality.

Another reason maybe that if you were to put a kid in a candy store for a
few days, within a few hours the kid would get bored, because all of the
candy would be gone, or the kid would be feeling sick. LUGNET isn't really
like that I don't think, The 'candy store' so to speak is constantly being
refueled and rejuvenated, by the members and posters within it, I really
can't see how that could get 'boring' so to speak, this is my home online
basically, if you were to take LUGNET away from me, there would be a huge
chunk mssing inside, LUGNET is the center of the community, in my opinion,
if you took it away from me, I'd have e-mail contact with a few people
still, but no place to publicly show my models, and I can guarantee you that
without LUGNET, or someplace to just talk LEGO, I think I would enter a dark
age, (I don't even want to think about that)

Well I've gotten completely off topic, scroll down for more...

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:

Calling for a member to be banned is a very serious matter. At least it
*ought* to be considered very serious.

Agreed.

Suz has said precisely one thing... she doesn't want to hear about it. If
LUGNET were a government, that wouldn't fly. Citizens have the right to
expect governments to act on accusations of wrongdoing. Even if that act is
to dismiss the charges, it's still a formal closure.

LUGNET of course is *not* a government.  Nor is it a corporation with
shareholders and a board. We have no rights to due process and no
expectation of any outcome in particular. Suz rules by fiat (taking opinion
into account, of course) and that has in fact worked quite well, usually.

Hmmmmmmmm,

I think that there are two viewpoints she could have taken here:

a) This is a community, comunities are not 'run' bye anyone so to speak,
they just happen, all of the cookies Ms. Whowhatsit bakes for everyone in
the comunity at christmas, just happens, it doesn't come about because of a
particular rule or anything, When Ms. Idinadoit yells at Ms. Whowhatsit
because one of the cookies was burnt, they eventually resolve it, and the
community patches the hole in itself, and becomes stronger as a result of it.

b) This community is run by one person(s) and it is up to that one person to
take care of things whenm things go wrong, so when Ms. Idinadoit yells at
Ms. Whowhatsit for baking burnt cookies, it is up to the leader(s) of the
community to take responsiblity and to punish Ms. Idinadoit and make sure it
doens't happen again.

In this case, Suz obviously chose choice 'a'. I don't think that either of
them are wrong, it's just how you execute them that really matters IMHO. I
think that she could have shown a bit more etiquette when saying that she
didn't want to deal with it, a simple "I'm going to let the community right
itself," rather than "Grow up" might have been a bit of a nicer way to
convey her desicion, but then again, this is definitely in my humble opinion. '

So there are my feelings on the events, pat yorself in the back if you held
up interest all this while, :-D

Bye,

-Geordan-

snipped some extremely thoughtful thoughts. :-)