 Off-Topic / Debate / 14324
  Anthrax worse than AIDS?

... or why foreign patents are less important than US patents To me it seems the US are trying to save some money in this case, whereas they did just about everything to protect their own profits with anti AIDS products. This even extends beyond (...) (23 years ago, 25-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?

(...) Make that two: Brazil and South Africa. I have followed the brazilian case through Cable, so I understood some of the $$ involved. Nasty $-diplomacy... The brazilians have had some success since the introduction of State-manufactered drugs in (...) (23 years ago, 25-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

Horst: Absolutely right. What matters over here is GOD and MONEY, or GODMONEY. Nobody cares if thousands of homosexuals suffer and die. Bible sales are up. At the top of the music charts are patriotic songs (sung by a French woman?). Our civil (...) (23 years ago, 25-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) Actually, I think you mean a Canadian. (Celine Dion) James P (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) I'm not sure what you are getting at. Can you please elaborate? Who is this "nobody" that you are referring to? What connection are you assuming between Bible-purchases and AIDS deaths? If I purchase a Bible (which I have in the last year), am (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) I read from Richard's post a concern that a disease that has claimed millions of lives is still perceived as a "fringe" disease, while a disease that recently has claimed fewer than 10 lives has been the front page story in every news source (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) I understand that the root of his issue was not bible purchases per se, but his GodMoney comments were red herrings meant to attack willy-nilly and make broad- brush generalizations about people of faith and their motives and concerns. (...) I (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) As currently deployed, it is indeed small potatoes. I'm sure more people are killed by food poisoning than anthrax. As a terrorist weapon it is very effective. I expect the economic cost of its impact must be huge. If the government treats it (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) All right, I retract that statement (which was admittedly unfair). I'm still not comfortable with "risky behavior," though, because it carries a vibe of "got what was coming to them," whether you intend it or not. (...) Agreed--just as David (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

I think Dave! did a pretty good job of expanding on what I was intimating in my little Godmoney venting. I do think our priorities are completing screwed. I think we should BY FAR be more concerned with security, emergency response, and how to (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) How's that? I'd call Koresh a Christian, just not a mainstream one. What does it take to be a 'true' Christian? Chris (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) I'd argue that the best and only way to determine if one is living consistently with the precepts of an adopted or assumed philosophical position/worldview is to compare the precepts to the behavior and try to determine whether or not that (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) What does it take to be a 'true' vegetarian? I would say that a 'true' vegetarian is one who accepts and lives by the behaviors demanded by vegetarianism, ie not eating meat. A 'true' Christian, I would suggest, is one who accepts and lives by (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) Er, didn't Koresh think he *was* Christ? I'd call that more than just "not mainstream." best LFB (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  What does it take to be a true Christian?

(...) I'm very interested in some answers to this, actually-- particularly from a Christian perspective. I think I've tried to define Christianity a couple times as certain sets of philosophical/moral beliefs combined with supernatural beliefs, (...) (23 years ago, 26-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) Do you have a cite for that? What I have heard from some sources is that he thought he might be in the middle of a prophecy that was playing out, but not that he thought he was "Jesus" any more than he thought every single person who accepted (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What does it take to be a true Christian?

(...) To be a true Christian, I'd say that one must be first squarely in agreement with the essentials of the faith--the clearest and most basic beliefs that the early believers held regarding the person of Christ, and have which been a bedrock of (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What does it take to be a true Christian?

(...) I wonder if C.S. Lewis examined the Mayan belief system? The Mesoamerican system of gods is pretty alien. They are neither good, nor bad, taken as a whole, just more powerful. Further, I have to wonder if the ethos of "be willing to sacrifice (...) (23 years ago, 27-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)

(...) does (...) First, I wonder even if true, if it really does. Don't Christians belive that Christ will return to bring in the new world? Doesn't that have to be someone? Mightn't it be a person born and raised normally (let's say, as a (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What does it take to be a true Christian?

(...) Being simply more powerful doesn't imply, to my mind, a difference of "kind" in moralities, only a difference of "degrees." Though the Mayan Gods weren't moral authorities of any particular kind, I'd wager that moral codes still existed within (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?

(...) Foreign patents are no less important than US patents in my view and that of Mr. Goldberg (URL)To me it seems the US are trying to save some money in this case, whereas (...) Mr. Goldberg makes the argument that this attempt to steal Bayer's (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?

(...) I agree. This really does illustrate the importance of IP. However, that argument should be held separate from that surrounding those profiteering based on the current situation... in my view. Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)