 Off-Topic / Debate / 12613
Re: Plane crash in New York?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:06:22 GMT

Richard Marchetti wrote:
Really? I guess we might as well throw this book of lies away then...

=)

heh, for all practical purposes, I have :)  only reason I have a copy is that it was a present, and it does make a good reference book, esp for .debate.

BTW, these are not mere descriptions -- you know, silly stuff like where a
whale swallows a man and delivers him to another country.  It is my
understanding that Joshua is a hero of Judeo-Christian faiths.  He is the
person who led the ancient Israelites in the taking of the Promised Land --
or did you not understand the context of these quotes?  This is the part of
the Old Testament where the Israelites are sick of wandering around in the
desert for 40 years and eating boiled insect larvae -- so, to improve their
lot they start kicking ass and taking no prisoners in the lands past the
Jordan.  It is also my understanding that many people believe these texts to
be something like the actual truth as concerns ancient history (I do not
myself make these errors, but to each their own). Further, it would be my
understanding that "The Book of the Conquest" is the foundational text in
claiming that the lands described belong to the people of Israel -- or
rather, their modern day descendants.

It is my opinion that the land of Israel doesn't belong to the Israelis because the bible said so, just because that when it was mostly unoccupied, they are the ones who moved there and developed it.  As a general rule, no one was ever "kicked out";  The only reason there are "refugees" is because some people ran away when Israel was attacked, fearing it'll retaliate against the local population.  Of course, the ones that did not run are now citizens, and were never harmed.

Can I take it as given that you disagree with Joshua's ethics concerning
conquest? Where does that place modern day Zionist claims to those lands in
your view? Would you argue that these lands were originally taken by murder
and/or terrorist acts?  Is there any other way to steal lands with a
resident population?

I think your choice of words is loaded, and that any war can be described as murder (though not terrorist act, imo).  But I do acknoledge that the Isrealites moved back to Israel (in biblical times) as conquerers returning to a land they abandonded.

Dan