 Off-Topic / Debate / 12546
Re: Plane crash in New York?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:37:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Arthur writes:

If the USA acts with the brutality that many seem to expect/want more
martyrs will be created and the events of yesterday may well be repeated at
some point in the future by those who follow.

This assumes that some will be allowed to "follow."

Only tackling the apparent
philosophical legitimacy these people have can really help in the long run.

I agree to a point.  If you're willing to rule out mass murder as an option,
then you are spot on.  Your whole point about disconnecting religion (religion
shared by many) from these actions, in an earlier note is right.  But I'm not
sure that's possible.  I can imagine a grossly brutal method for assuring that
this never happens again, but I can't think of a way to seperate their
political and religious stances.  Do you have a process in mind?

I for one want justice to be served. But I want it to be in a manner which
ensures events such as these never happen again.

To whatever extent it is possible, that's all I care about.  Justice can never
be served for this and all we can do in seeking that is to poison our own
hearts.  Let's get about the task of making sure the probability of such an
attack is sufficiently decreased, and not wory about revenge.

What is the point of committing murderous revenge when it only fuels the fire?

Agreed.  "Murderous revenge" would only be useful for us if we can identify the
cultural circumstances that make terrorists likely and completely eradicate
them.  And I'm not entirely against such an action -- if we could figure out
how to make it work, but I'm sure the vast majority are, regardless.

Chris