 General / 33105
Re: Plane crash in New York?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:54:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Findley writes:
In lugnet.general, Tore Eriksson writes:

The spirit of revenge. An eye for an eye. No, rather the prinicple of Lemech
(Gen 4:23) from which eye for an eye was a great improvement.

I am really surprised to learn that even Russia beat "the world's greatest
democracy" in abolishing death penalty!

Interesting quote from CNN online:

  Russian President Vladimir Putin also sent a telegram to Bush.
  "Dear George," he wrote, "such an inhuman act must not go
  unpunished."

I'm sure that the US is going to strike back at the terrorist organizations
that are responsible for yesterday's acts of terror.  I am not certain
personally that the US will strike back in the most moral way possible.  I
suppose we could take the most moral and humanitarian steps possible to
confront the terrorist groups and ask them nicely to surrender their weapons
and come peacefully to the US to face trials for their actions.

How do you strike back "morally"?  Obviously people like this are not going to
just give up.

What is the most appropriate way to deal with terrorists in order to prevent
further acts of violence against innocent civilians?

Make no mistake, this is war.  The only way to deal with terrorists is with
terror.  That may seem harsh but if we want to do something against terrorism
it must be done in a cold, calculated, and completely thourough way.

Also with this being war we have to accept the fact that when we attack the
terrorists they will fight back.  That means more civilians will probably die.
That said, if we do nothing mosre civilians will die anyway.

I personally don't want my son growing up with this, if it means all out war to
protect us from this sort of thing than so be it.  I will also say that if you
put one of the people involved with this in a room alone with me only one of us
would come out alive.

I would not have said things like this 2 days ago but today I feel like the US
is at war.  I am ready for war and I hope the rest of you can be ready for it
too because this won't be a short war.  This won't go away anytime soon and it
may get worse before it gets better.

Eric Kingsley