 General / 33107
Re: Plane crash in New York?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:54:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Walsh writes:

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Jeff Findley writes:
In lugnet.general, Tore Eriksson writes:

[ ... snipped ... ]

What is the most appropriate way to deal with terrorists in order to • prevent
further acts of violence against innocent civilians?

Make no mistake, this is war.  The only way to deal with terrorists is • with
terror.  That may seem harsh but if we want to do something against • terrorism
it must be done in a cold, calculated, and completely thourough way.

Also with this being war we have to accept the fact that when we attack • the
terrorists they will fight back.  That means more civilians will probably • die.
That said, if we do nothing mosre civilians will die anyway.

I personally don't want my son growing up with this, if it means all out • war to
protect us from this sort of thing than so be it.  I will also say that if • you
put one of the people involved with this in a room alone with me only one • of us
would come out alive.

I would not have said things like this 2 days ago but today I feel like • the US
is at war.  I am ready for war and I hope the rest of you can be ready for • it
too because this won't be a short war.  This won't go away anytime soon • and it
may get worse before it gets better.

Eric Kingsley

Unfortunately the events that took place yesterday will put the US in a what
is essentially a no-win situation.  No matter what the US government decides
to do, someone will take issue with it.  The US government can not let the
court of public opinion (e.g. the media, foreign governments, US citizens,
etc.) direct or effect decisions that need to be made that are truly in the
best interest of the US.

It is unlikely that the people who initiated the terrorist acts can be dealt
with reasonably.  IMHO there is no point in even trying.  If they were
reasonable people they never would have done what they did.  These are not
nice people and this is not a nice guy contest.  The US should act
accordingly.

Mike

If the USA acts with the brutality that many seem to expect/want more
martyrs will be created and the events of yesterday may well be repeated at
some point in the future by those who follow. Only tackling the apparent
philosophical legitimacy these people have can really help in the long run.
I for one want justice to be served. But I want it to be in a manner which
ensures events such as these never happen again.

What is the point of committing murderous revenge when it only fuels the fire?

Scott A

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot