 Off-Topic / Debate / *7511 (-20)
  Re: LP POINT 1

(...) Nope. Read it again. His assertion is that as America is an egalitarian society, it rejected the LP. Basically his point is that egalitarianism is at odds with the LP. As you well know, the point I raised referred only to the range of support (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP POINT 3.2

(...) What I actually said was this: (from) (URL)Tell you what though, Scott. Pick one point, one thought, one item that (...) and again: (from) (URL)I'll repeat my offer though. If Scott picks one point or small topic and (...) Note the use (in (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP POINT 1

Repeating the original cite and with much snippage of multiple quotes, irrelevancy, signatures, etc (the interested reader knows how to follow references upwards, or should), as always: (...) I'll repeat my analysis of this theme (that (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) In a Libertopia, just as much as you. (...) They operate in very desperate circumstances. Supply and demand in an unregulated labour market means that they must work at the "market rate" and at the market conditions - just like in Libertopia. (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) "Altruistic Charity" In a strong a economy, we would expect to have higher disposable income. We may choose to use that to better the circumstances of others, or we may choose to go to "Wally World" - that is a personal choice. If the (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) Are we to understand, then, that a posting in disagreement with your view is nothing but an annoyance? If so, then please come out and state it clearly. If not, please explain what you mean, and while you're at it let us know why you're (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:G4p58v.5n8@lugnet.com... (...) Obviously. (...) issue. With or without rehab, recidivism is extremely high, check the numbers. Primarily, because there are laws against the use of drugs, and (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

FUT lugnet.off-topic.use...-annoyance "Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:G4osvM.Br7@lugnet.com... (...) yet. (...) blame" as: (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne

"John Neal" <johnneal@uswest.net> wrote in message news:3A228CA4.D204CA...est.net... (...) make (...) you (...) Oh I know the answer John, the question was more rhetorical, so I am not really offended nor even surprised by your attack. Hopefully (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Today's the day.

(...) Not really, no. (...) for starters, you're extrapolating a bit far. For another, if only it was that simple. It's not the simple political machinations that I'm worried about. The "lying, cheating and stealing" as you allege pretty much comes (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) I agree, not all selfishness is bad, yet I believe it to be the root of most of what ails us. Any crime or perversion can be sifted down to an illicit focus on meeting a selfish desire. Again, our freedom only exists in our ability to respect (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Today's the day.

(...) Why not? At least the CCP guy (yes, we have had a elected communist member of Parliment, if you americans are wondering...) he _stood by_ his principals, and voted against Canada entering WW2...(he knew we were going to war, but wanted a (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Today's the day.

(...) I enjoy constructive reasoned debate, sure. (...) Actually, it's the Canadian Reform Conservative Alliance. ie. C.R.C.A. (...) Actually I find the 22minute guy quite funny, including this particular bit. For those who would claim that such an (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) In my book, selfishness needs to be separated from "moral rot". Selfishness in and of itself is not bad (in fact, my proposal of just giving poor slobs money because it's cheaper than having them steal to get the money is based on pure (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

(...) <snip> (...) I had a feeling I had incompletely communicated my stance. I do think that altruistic charity based on qualities like you list above is the most effective. My point is more that one needs to look at the entire system and examine (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: From Harry Browne

(...) If a person is so adicted as to essentially be incompetant, then there clearly is a problem, however, I don't think Libertopia removes the options of prison or involuntary commitment to a treatment center, but the commitment needs to be based (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?

First off the answer is an easy yes; however, a couple of points that need to be considered in this argument. 1. Who are we talking about when we say needy? Do we include those who refuse to work? and who makes this determination? My understanding (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: LP POINT 3

I am not a registered Libertarian, but I feel my ideology closely matches theres so let me give these a shot. (...) Yes, and in a very short period of time an individual or company with such a limited scope would be a failure; but let society and (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Today's the day.

(...) (you had to know this one was coming, Steve...) Ya, well, lets change his name to Doris :) (to those of you who don't follow Canadian Politics, the Canadian Reform Alliance Party (that's C.R.A.P., if you can follow the letters...) has in its (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Today's the day.

(...) <snip> (...) Don't you find that somewhat illogical? For one, it assumes that Day will "lie, cheat and steal" (if I may use that expression) like Cretien has, but all evidence is to contrary. You say you're scared that Day will "impose" his (...) (24 years ago, 27-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact