 Off-Topic / Debate / 7495
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:42:17 GMT

First off the answer is an easy yes; however, a couple of points that need
to be considered in this argument.

1. Who are we talking about when we say needy? Do we include those who
refuse to work? and who makes this determination?  My understanding of a
Libertarian society would be no public funds for welfare efforts.

2. Do not underestimate the benevolence of mankind. How many of you drop
some money into the Salvation Army bucket, or give to your church,
voluntarily. Even today in our welfare state, there are several
organizations willing to help the downtrodden, when did this become
governments concern?

Here in the United States we currently live in a welfare state, in a
Libertarian state, the needy would get nothing from the government beyond
protection. Taxes would be much lower, business would be stimulated, and
individuals would have more with which to be more generous. Government
should encourage, not require benevolence.

Scott