 Off-Topic / Debate / 7474
7473  |  7475
Subject:
Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:06:00 GMT

One of the central arguments against libertarian principles is that
there will be more poor starving folks. I assert that this will not be
the case.

It is to my benefit that my neighbor isn't starving and desperate. If he
is, he is likely to rob me. If he busts my car window to get a stereo
which he sells to a pawn shop, something like $100 has been wasted, all
to transfer about $100 worth of wealth from me to other folks. So in the
end, I'd ultimately rather just give the fellow a hundred bucks. Of
course, ideally, I'd like to give him that hundred bucks using a system
which encouraged him to use it not just to feed his wants, but to also
make himself more valuable to society.

Of course there's even more waste when this poor starving neighbor busts
my window. If he gets caught, in our current system, we're going to
waste $1000s of resources to "punish" him, and likely, he'll get tossed
in prison where it will certainly appear that he is living better, but
in the meantime, whatever self respect and drive for success he had is
probably even further trampled, or worse twisted (so that next time,
instead of busting my car window he kills me).

Now it is true that some lazy slobs will want to hold all their wealth
for themselves. I'll chose not to live in the same town as them, and I
certainly don't want to pay "taxes" so that they will be protected.

Now you may assert that a government can do better, but how? No matter
how you cut, slice, or dice it, ultimately humans are required to make
the decision as to how resources will be shared to make a better world
for all. Unfortunately, a government, rather than allowing a free market
to find the best way, is dependant on a small class of folks who have
the charisma to convince the rest of us that their ideas are better than
ours. All it does is concentrate the power, because ultimately, what you
are doing by paying taxes is giving away a measure of your own power in
such a way such that you have little control over how that power is
used.

Now you may hold that most people don't have the smarts to use their
power effectively. Please show me what guarantees that the few who
govern in today's society are those with the best smarts, and not just
the same poor stupid slobs as the rest of us?

The ONLY government that I could see as being able to truly be better
than human would a government which derrives its power from divine
sources, but since I reject almost any possibility of this (I don't
absolutely reject the possibility of a divine force, but if it's there,
and it doesn't touch all of us basically equally, the number of folks
who have been touched to an extent that I would grant they might be able
to be better governors than the rest of us slobs is almost zero, and
none of them who are alive today hold positions of strength in
government [a possible candidate for such a person today is the Dalai
Lama but he sure isn't running much of a government, though he certainly
is willing to share his ideas to any who are willing to listen]).

Now there is valid concern about whether a transition to Libertopia
opens us up for a worse world temporarily. All this means is that we
need to exercise care and thought in dismantling the current power
structures. As Larry has said before, it isn't easy being a libertarian,
but just because it's hard doesn't mean it should be rejected.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com