 Off-Topic / Debate / 7499
Re: Today's the day.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:20:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:
You say you're scared that Day will "impose" his values, but one of
the primary policies of the Alliance is to let the people determine the
values they will have in their country via referendum.

(you had to know this one was coming, Steve...)

I enjoy constructive reasoned debate, sure.

Ya, well, lets change his name to Doris :)
(to those of you who don't follow Canadian Politics, the Canadian
Reform Alliance Party

Actually, it's the Canadian Reform Conservative Alliance.  ie. C.R.C.A.

...has in its policy book, a statement that they would have a national
referendum if 3% of the voter list support a idea.
...Stockwell Day's name, that it should be changed to Doris...

Actually I find the 22minute guy quite funny, including this particular
bit.  For those who would claim that such an Internet joke invalidates
referendum, remember that people are clicking on this as a joke - it's
unlikely that half a million people would actually sign such a proposal.
We all know referenda would only take place on some key issues.  Besides,
if enough people actually wanted to have a referendum on a joke, then I
say fine - let's do it.  If ten million Canadians vote to change my name
to Stevie Wonder, then I would be honoured to do so, because I respect
the democratic principals that the USA was founded upon.  (I know, we're
not the USA, we're a British colonial left-over, but you get the idea.)

(Neither the Marxist-Leninist party or the CCP were running...

Vote for Communism?  You're GOT to be kidding me.

SRC