 Off-Topic / Debate / 7502
Re: Today's the day.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 02:20:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Maynes writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes:
McLellan's going down.   Right Kevin?   8-)
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=7475

Yeah, sorry about that, my reaction was.. heavy handed.
I don't really give two spits about any particular local candidate.
I'm not solidly leaning in any other particular direction, but truly
a Federal Reform government scares the screaming bejeezus outta me.

<snip>
Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Don't you find that somewhat illogical?

Not really, no.

For one, it assumes that
Day will "lie, cheat and steal" (if I may use that expression) like
Cretien has, but all evidence is to contrary.

for starters, you're extrapolating a bit far. For another, if only it was that
simple. It's not the simple political machinations that I'm worried about. The
"lying, cheating and stealing" as you allege pretty much comes with the
territory. I believe all politicians do it to some degree in some direction
while in power, be it indirectly or otherwise. So it's not a concern.

The bit I'm worried about is everything else.
I'm pro-choice.
I think creationism is so utterly backward it's actually laughable.
I'm not a big fan of capital punishment.
I think racism sucks.
Same goes for homophobia.
And so on.
As I said, the thought of Reform gaining power gives me the heebie jeebies.

You say you're scared that Day will "impose" his values,

I said no such thing.

but one of
the primary policies of the Alliance is to let the people determine the
values they will have in their country via referendum.

Now that's not only a silly useless concept, it's also rather two faced for a
party that was on the "this election is an expensive waste of resources"
bandwagon, especially after having actually dared Jean to call it.
Oh, let's call a big expensive referendum every time some special interest
group comes up with enough of a push to generate one. And call it again when
said group doesn't like the result. (Can you say Bloc? I knew you could).
Pfeh.

Our current
situations is Trudeau's values are being imposed on everyone.  What
you're really saying is "Better the devil you know, than your neighbour."

I most certainly wouldn't trust your neighbor, and probably not my own either,
given that kind of choice. True Democracy simply cannot work in anything as
large as a 1st-world nation. Nor can True Communism, True Libertarianism, and
so on and so forth.
So yeah, maybe it is "Better the devil you know than every uninformed yahoo in
the country."