 Off-Topic / Debate / 7497
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:52:52 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
One of the central arguments against libertarian principles is that
there will be more poor starving folks. I assert that this will not be
the case.

It is to my benefit that my neighbor isn't starving and desperate. If he
is, he is likely to rob me. If he busts my car window to get a stereo
which he sells to a pawn shop, something like $100 has been wasted, all
to transfer about $100 worth of wealth from me to other folks. So in the
end, I'd ultimately rather just give the fellow a hundred bucks. Of
course, ideally, I'd like to give him that hundred bucks using a system
which encouraged him to use it not just to feed his wants, but to also
make himself more valuable to society.

Here's where I have a big problem with that view. Your reasoning behind
wanting to give your next door neighbor the $100 seems solely based on the
fact that if you don't, he has the potential to cause more damage to you.
Hence, it seems to me that you're building up a society based on a threat.
Why should I give him money? Cuz if I don't, he'll cost me more, or beat me
up, or kill me, or whatever.

<snip>

A. moral character
B. positive accomplishments
C. intellect
D. genuine need

or any one of a bunch of things I would deem more valid of a reason other
than 'threat potential'. But if you mean something else, I dunno...

I had a feeling I had incompletely communicated my stance. I do think
that altruistic charity based on qualities like you list above is the
most effective. My point is more that one needs to look at the entire
system and examine all the costs and benefits. Ultimately of course,
fear based giving isn't going to be too effective, but it probably is
more effective than putting the poor slob into a position where the only
way he sees to get ahead is destructive action. The most efficient
system of course is to encourage the fellow to constructive action.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com