 Off-Topic / Debate / *16611 (-20)
  Followup: USA soccer team at the World Cup

(...) I wrote this yesterday, and I was full of hope. I, and all the folks who stopped their work today to see this match on the telly. We lost. :-( Never before I had seen so many people struggling to keep tears away from their faces, knowing that (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup? (everyone’s overreacting!)

~O.K. now everyone’s overreacting! Lugnet is looking out for it’s best interests… Lego is looking out for it’s best interest… And I'm sure FBTB is doin’ the same thing too… But before anybody does anything rash lets just take a step back and reflect (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jun-02, to lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) What do you mean by "all the statistics said was that.."? The conclusion is that over half of the Palestinians want Israel GONE. That seems pretty significant to me. (...) Define "ordinary Palestinians" (...) I'm not going to deny that there (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of our favorite issues!

(...) Absolutely! My perennial bugaboo is the ol' "Creationism in public schools" mantra that's lately mysteriously popular here in the Dark Ages of Western PA. I'd love the Supreme Court to say once and for all "it ain't science and never will be, (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

All the statistics said was that: "51.1 percent said that the aim of the Intifadah is to liberate all Palestinian land (historic Palestine) as opposed to 42.8 percent who said the Intifadah's aim is to end the Israeli occupation." However, only (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of our favorite issues!

(...) Consider also that only your first appeal to a higher court is a matter of right, all subsequent appeals must be granted certiorari. That means to reach the Supreme Court you have to have something that the courts are even willing to (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of our favorite issues!

(...) Upon rereading it, I agree. It's a bit more scattershot than I'd initially thought. (...) I suppose that, as a matter of practice, to do otherwise would cause the judiciary to sort of bleed into the legislature. If there is any other way to (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bye, bye Argentina! (was Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup -- everyone shocked!)

(...) Eheheheh... I have some pics that can explain *why* Argentina lost ;-) (I can e-mail them upon request) Anyway, I'm looking forward to watch tomorrow's match between Portugal and South Korea. That will be interesting, to see the group's (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bye, bye Argentina! (was Re: USA soccer team at the World Cup -- everyone shocked!)

Abmisal performance by the Argentinian team!!! Mind you, Italy were lucky to stay in the game courtesy of Ecuador beating Croatia (who beat Italy in an earlier match). Steffan (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: One of our favorite issues!

(...) I am not a lawyer, Dave!, but I think the answer is no. But that doesn't really mean anything -- not if you understand the Ashwander Doctrine which I have mentioned here in debate previously (see: (URL) The main thing is the court will avoid (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Poll: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) Not at all. Look at we americans at this very moment -- don't you think our views about Arabs, Muslims, and ? has been at least partially radicalized by several instances of violence over the years including the events of 9-11? The (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

(...) If they could - yes! But, to be honest, I think most resistance is at the high level: Secret Middle East talks in Britain (URL) A (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Majority Palestinians See Israel's Elimination as Goal

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:GxK3ux.LKv@lugnet.com... (...) me (...) as (...) the (...) the (...) is the (...) I liked the ad: "Get moore freedom, try MSN Internet Access today"... In the middle of the page... So you do not think (...) (22 years ago, 13-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) To sit on while drying your feet after the shower. Also, to avoid the unpleasantness of looking into the toilet. Makes the room seem more civilized. --Bill. (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) My understanding is that body odor comes not from sweat, but from stale sweat. It isn't the sweat itself that stinks, it's the byproducts of the bacteria digesting the sweat. If you shower often the sweat doesn't stay on you long enough to (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

There is a slice-of-life article in the New York Times 6/11 about public restrooms in the subways. There is talk of hazard suits and padlocked doors. It cost too much to repair them constantly, and even more to hire attendants, so now they just try (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) My mother claims a friend of hers caught some sort of viral ailment from breathing in the vapors generated by flushing a toilet in a Kmart restroom. She is so persistent with stories like this that my six year old made it from our house fifty (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Pretty much, but it's considered socially unacceptable to use the two interchangeably. Dave! (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) Fair enough. My travels have brought me into contact more with pungent folks than with over-perfumed people, so maybe it's a matter of experience. It's hard to make use of public transport without getting a heady dose of funk. (...) Come on, (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Questions on Bathing

(...) I thought it was so we could piss all over the top of the bowl and still defecate without sitting in it. ;-) What I think is really bizarre is that we wash our wastes away with purified drinking water. I'd prefer to composte my waste as per (...) (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact