 MediaWatch / 2678
Re: LEGO® Launches Battle Over Trademark
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:29:45 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, David Eaton wrote:
   To turn it around for a minute, suppose that MegaBloks had come out first, and produced poor quality bricks. Then, when their patent ran out, LEGO decided to make awesome bricks that matched the MegaBloks standard, simply because MegaBloks at the time of LEGO’s inception happened to be the market leader. Should LEGO have been forced to pick a different scale so that they didn’t conflict with the MegaBlok iconic image?

Here’s a better question. If that had been the case, would anyone have even had the desire to attempt to clone MB at all? There are several different construction toy systems out there, and so far the only one I’ve really seen any non-bootleg clones for is the LEGO system. If the LEGO system was not the first version that people had become familiar with, and whatever was the first version to have significant market penetration was stretching the definition of “quality”, why would anyone want to copy them? Wouldn’t that sort of company instead look for the best available construction toy to clone? I mean, how many cars can you think of that were trying to appeal to fans of the Yugo?