 MediaWatch / 2670
Re: LEGO® Launches Battle Over Trademark
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:27:21 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, John Neal wrote:
   it doesn’t seem right for a company to sponge off of another without providing compensation or something. Licensing, for example.

It is little wonder why clones can provide a cheaper product-- they are using TLG for all of their financial heavy lifting WRT advertising.

While I agree with the morality, the legality is another issue. In essence, though, your point has already been addressed. Thanks to their patent, LEGO enjoyed an exclusive right to production for 20 or so years, allowing them to be the dominant brand they are today. So, they already received the benefit they were due for coming up with the system, and it paid off in terms of majority market share. And they will probably continue to be the dominant brand, unless they screw up somehow. That’s their reward.

The tragedy would be if they were expressly allowed to maintain a monopoly. If some other company can do a better job, they should be allowed to do so. That’s capitalism, as immoral as it may be at times.

DaveE