 MediaWatch / 2674
Re: LEGO® Launches Battle Over Trademark
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:34:38 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, John Neal wrote:
   I guess I am just an old dog stuck using that with which I’ve always known: LEGO. Even if another company were in fact able to do a better job than TLG, I doubt that I would convert.

I guess here’s the rub:

To turn it around for a minute, suppose that MegaBloks had come out first, and produced poor quality bricks. Then, when their patent ran out, LEGO decided to make awesome bricks that matched the MegaBloks standard, simply because MegaBloks at the time of LEGO’s inception happened to be the market leader. Should LEGO have been forced to pick a different scale so that they didn’t conflict with the MegaBlok iconic image?

If TLG produced better quality bricks, I wouldn’t see the advantage of making them compatible with a competitor’s inferior product.

   Yeah, yeah: capitalism. Though I would say that it is amoral rather than immoral.

True. Capitalism itself is amoral, while its practitioners can be immoral.

DaveE

Yes they can.

JOHN