 MediaWatch / 2656
Re: LEGO® Launches Battle Over Trademark
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:34:10 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Marak wrote:

   I wonder if the clones would have enjoyed the success that they’ve had were they to have created a brick system that didn’t replicate the dimensions of LEGO bricks.

Clearly a case of wanting your brick and repeating it, too.

JOHN

The answer to your question is obvious. Enlighten and others manufacture for a market that never could afford to buy Lego bricks. The success of Lego’s clone of the Kiddiecraft brick has had very little influence on the success of later cloning companies.

Not a valid analogy I believe. LEGO didn’t clone Kiddiecraft; it took the idea and ran with it. Since their improvements were superior to the original, the original died off.

Clones today exist because of their compatibility with LEGO, not necessarily their improvements on LEGO. Although I must say that Mega Bloks have tried the fusion of action figures and LEGO bricks idea and have had some success with it. But I still maintain that the overarching appeal of the clones is their compatibility with the LEGO system.

JOHN