 MediaWatch / 2660
Re: LEGO® Launches Battle Over Trademark
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2009 04:13:25 GMT

Not a valid analogy I believe. LEGO didn’t clone Kiddiecraft; it took the idea and ran with it. Since their improvements were superior to the original, the original died off.

Lego did not license the Kiddicraft design. They took it and *slightly* modified it. The Kiddicraft design, although patented in the UK, was not protected in Denmark. They bought all of the residual rights to the brick (in the early 1980s) only when they were beginning their legal actions against Tyco.

It was another 8 years until the Lego stud-and-tube design was developed and immediately patented.

   Clones today exist because of their compatibility with LEGO, not necessarily their improvements on LEGO. Although I must say that Mega Bloks have tried the fusion of action figures and LEGO bricks idea and have had some success with it. But I still maintain that the overarching appeal of the clones is their compatibility with the LEGO system.

Although I completely agree that all of the Pacific-rim clones owe their existence to their compatibility, Lego has not so far been successful in defending their design as a trademark indicia.

   JOHN