 MediaWatch / 2668
Re: LEGO® Launches Battle Over Trademark
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:41:27 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, David Laswell wrote:
   The LEGO Company did not clone the Kiddiecraft brick.

From what I recall, LEGO received KiddieCraft bricks in 1947 along with their first molding machine. The bricks were (if I infer correctly) presented to LEGO as examples of what can be done with plastic injection molding. LEGO probably didn’t think much about international copyright or patenting, and simply made a design similar to the KiddieCraft bricks.

As I recall, they changed the KiddieCraft bricks so that they had a metric measurement, and I believe they flattened the studs a bit. I’ve never heard anything about whether they attempted to patent or copyright their take on the KiddieCraft bricks in Denmark.

   They licensed the design

They did? I recall reading that Page’s widow revealed that he never knew anything about the LEGO product, although I could be wrong. I didn’t think LEGO did anything to communicate with KiddieCraft until the 1980’s.

   then bought the rights to it outright

Yes, I think they bought the residual rights to KiddieCraft bricks in 1981 or so, prior to the case with Tyco.

   and then improved upon it with the addition of the tubes inside the bricks ... That version was patented by TLC.

That was in 1958 that they came up with the stud-and-tube system. Way before the acquisition of the KiddieCraft rights. And I believe that when they applied for the patent in Denmark of the stud-and-tube system, they also applied for the patent in other countries, although I could be mistaken.

Additionally, I recall that they patented a few designs that were similar to the stud-and-tube that they were NOT planning on releasing (like the X-bottom connection) so that they could effectively keep more of a monopoly on connecting plastic building bricks.

DaveE