 MediaWatch / 1326 (-20)
  NPR's Morning Edition: Broken Toys

I heard this on NPR on 12/26. It is a brief piece talking about calls to customer service centers on the day after Christmas. One of the people they talk to is a LEGO Customer Service rep with a cute story about one of her favorite calls. (...) (21 years ago, 30-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: LEGO wobbles as Star Wars and Harry Potter sales tumble

From the articles - Poul Plougmann told the Danish newspaper Boersen the trend this year had been "unexpectedly bad, nearly catastrophic", although full Christmas sales figures were not yet known and could push the company into a recovery. OUCH! (...) (21 years ago, 30-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) Yeah, but why do you care? Well, Scott, since you work for Lego retail, that's another issue, but for most people, standing up for someone else's marketing/branding program is silly. I honestly don't care if someone uses the term "Legos". (...) (21 years ago, 30-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  LEGO wobbles as Star Wars and Harry Potter sales tumble

(URL) predicting 2003 sales losses> Similar article at (URL) The Australian Financial Review> That's too bad - it seemed to me like 2003 was a good year, I certainly bought more than in a long time. -Kevin (21 years ago, 30-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX) !

  LEGO toys at AMC Theatres this month...

I can see the floors of the theaters now just covered in sticky goo and LEGO elements....ewwwww AMC Theatres and the LEGO Company Team up for Unique Integrated Promotion; Key Elements Include On-Screen Advertising, Lobby Displays, and a Free LEGO (...) (21 years ago, 27-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: Article On Playmobil

(...) Licensing or not, they are very different products. Playmobil is not a building toy. Lego has been wishing to bypass the fact that it is a building toy! Quick-build and action playset and all that. Playmobil has even tried to become a building (...) (21 years ago, 26-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Article On Playmobil

(...) neat sets but it's not clear that was the only way to get those. The question is, is LEGO different enough from Playmobil that the same strategy wouldn't work for LEGO? I'm not sure but am tending to think not that different. (21 years ago, 26-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Article On Playmobil

Are they saying precicely what we'd like LEGO to be saying ?? (URL) Stacey ------ www.minifig.co.uk Lugnet Member #925 I'm a citizen of Legoland travellin' Incommunicado (21 years ago, 26-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing

(...) Snipped a lot of good info. Most of which I agree with. However I do NOT agree that there is no such thing as a loss leader. Case in point. I went to Best Buy on Black Friday. They were selling DVD players for 19 dollars after rebate. Many (...) (21 years ago, 25-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing

(...) snip (...) Another factor involving big-box retailers is shelf-space spiffs (from the manf to the retailer). I'm pretty sure that WM charges for prime location end-caps. The manf's prolly pay WM off in extra product rather than real dollars. (...) (21 years ago, 24-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing

I read a similar article in another publication about a month ago and it upset me then. I think it was in Newsweek. Anyway, it upset me because the reporter must have been an idoit! The phenomenon of the "loss leader" is a myth! Yes a Myth! I (...) (21 years ago, 24-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing

Arguably, WalMart and Target are just getting their revenge on TRU etc. After all, companies like TRU are known as "category killers" whose business model of having the largest range of products in some category, and is antithetical to the "variety (...) (21 years ago, 24-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing

(...) And of course the trick is to buy lots of the loss leaders (if they're something you want) while resisting the temptation to buy other stuff. One good (but not infallible) giveaway is when quantity is limited, there's a fairly good chance it's (...) (21 years ago, 24-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing

(...) Ah, yes, the ever wonderful science of a "loss leader"...sell one thing at a loss to lead others to buy more stuff....get the kids to buy toys while mom gets milk, bread, eggs, cookie dough, wrapping paper, etc, yadda yadda...as opposed to (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) You know, I hardly ever use Lego bricks. I more frequently use plates and clips and brackets and windows and wheels and slopes etc. ;) But I guess that's more to do with the nature of building space models. While were being anal retentive, I'm (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) <snip> I do endeavour to say 'lego bricks' in conversations. And when I write about my chosen hobby, I try to write "LEGO Bricks" when referring the bricks themselves. To be said, though, I do write or say 'My LEGO creation' instead of 'My (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) I don't say that either, but I frequently say just "bricks". Or "I build with LEGO bricks." (...) Ahh... well I can't see those as good analogies, because TSR owned D&D at the time, you'd never said "let's play TSR!" And Scrabble is a game (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  New York Times on Walmart Pricing

Today's (23 December 2003) New York Times has an interesting article on Walmart's effect on the toy market -- pushing toy-specific retailers to the brink. General thrust is that Walmart and sometimes Target are selling numerous toy items below their (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) There are two carpenters on that show, one of whom is female. There is no "other girl." I think that the host and decorator handled it pretty well, since it was clear this was probably the first time either of them had met an AFOL. Besides, (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) I'm NEVER going to say "Lego brand building elements" in casual converstaion(beyond noting it as I just did). What the company has to do legally and what some anal-retentive lawyer thinks I must do when talking about it are two different (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact