 MediaWatch / 1318
Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2003 04:17:08 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Todd Thuma wrote:
I read a similar article in another publication about a month ago and it upset
me then. I think it was in Newsweek.

Anyway, it upset me because the reporter must have been an idoit! The phenomenon
of the "loss leader" is a myth! Yes a Myth!

Snipped a lot of good info. Most of which I agree with.

However I do NOT agree that there is no such thing as a loss leader.

Case in point. I went to Best Buy on Black Friday. They were selling DVD players
for 19 dollars after rebate. Many would argue that is a loss leader, but it's
subject to analysis that it isn't, I guess.

However, they were ALSO selling stacks of 100 blank CDs for 25 dollars with a 25
dollar rebate... meaning that you got the stack for the price of a stamp, which
Best Buy doesn't get the benefit of. SOMEBODY is losing money there, either BB
or the CD manufacturer since the net revenue they get is 0, (but only if
everyone fills out the rebate... I guess you can argue that they make their
money on those people who don't, they cover everyone.)