 Marketplace / Theory / 2605
Re: New York Times on Walmart Pricing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:33:26 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Todd Thuma wrote:
I read a similar article in another publication about a month ago and it upset
me then. I think it was in Newsweek.

snip
Todd

Another factor involving big-box retailers is shelf-space spiffs (from the manf
to the retailer). I'm pretty sure that WM charges for prime location end-caps.
The manf's prolly pay WM off in extra product rather than real dollars.
Somewhere, its been a while, I remember hearing that the typical wholesale cost
of LEGO to a mass market retailer (like WM) is more like 50% of MSRP. Recently,
I've noticed MSRP creeping up and I wonder if the wholesale cost kept pace, or
this was simply a subterfuge to creep down the wholesale pct while keeping the
manf's cash flow steady. Even if the wholesale is typically 50%, TLC must really
shave margins on licensed products because there is a licensing fee built in
somehow.

Ray