 Marketplace / Theory / 979
Re: No gimmicks, just a free 40 bucks.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:45:36 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
This is NOT a hawk of my auction but if you want to click on URLS (I
don't have time to type them in) or read more about it go see my current
blue hopper on eBay... (I especially don't have time to retype all the
explanatory text)

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=256988280
[...]

Hmm, I'm not entirely clear on why the above quoted isn't an auction
announcement.

I read Larry's message the same way you did, Todd.  And I had the same reaction:
"Larry's smarter than that.  Why's he posting a disingenuous auction
announcement?"  Then I realized the truth.  What he typed was:

This is NOT a hawk of my auction but if you want to click on URLS (I
don't have time to type them in) or read more about it go see my current
blue hopper on eBay... (I especially don't have time to retype all the
explanatory text)

The meaning of this passage (this is provided for non-Larritarians and the
faint-of-belief, not to claim that Larry made a misteak) is:

"If you want more information, there are links to explanations for both services
in my Blue Hopper auction.  The auction link is [xxx], the image-based
explanatory links are about halfway down that page."

You probably understood this already, Todd.  But it took me a few minutes, and
probably other people as well.

Not sure how an embedded auction reference (let's call it a "reference"
rather than an "announcement") of this type is different from a sig-based
reference, but I think this is a case we ought to clarify one way or the
other.

I agree with you about clarification, but Larry's intent is pretty clear here
(after the full situation is known).   He should have thrown in a few more words
explaining his intent, besides the "this is not an announcement" bit.  Because
we all know that electronic messages which say "I am not X" usually *are* X.

Steve