 Marketplace / Theory / 973
Re: No gimmicks, just a free 40 bucks.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 00:30:49 GMT

Well, that implies that even using the word "auction"  (whoops!) or the url
for an auction related site like eBay.com (whoops again!!!) constitutes an
auction (whoops a third time!!!) post, which I think is totally false.

--

Paul Davidson

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
This is NOT a hawk of my auction but if you want to click on URLS (I
don't have time to type them in) or read more about it go see my current
blue hopper on eBay... (I especially don't have time to retype all the
explanatory text)

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=256988280
[...]

Hmm, I'm not entirely clear on why the above quoted isn't an auction
announcement.

The larger post -- on a whole -- obviously isn't, but in my mind, it • certainly
does _contain_ an auction announcement, albeit one with a disclaimer.

It's not an announcement of the trumpet/herald type, but it clearly draws
attention and mindshare to an auction which is currently being run by the
poster.

Not flaming Larry, because I'm sure he considered this very carefully • before
posting, but this is an intriguing border case which seems uncomfortable.

Not sure how an embedded auction reference (let's call it a "reference"
rather than an "announcement") of this type is different from a sig-based
reference, but I think this is a case we ought to clarify one way or the
other.

--Todd

[followups to .market.theory]