 Marketplace / Theory / 976
Re: No gimmicks, just a free 40 bucks.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 02:24:23 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <38AB29E8.20EE21C@voyager.net>...
The X offer expires in, what, 3 days... time was of the essence to let
people know that windows are not the only thing available. I literally
had 2 minutes or less to get that posted or I wasn't going to be able to
post it at all for several hours. That's what you get when you are
sharing one dialup line among a whole class and trying to take notes at
the same time. So I was in a huge hurry to do it or it wasn't going to
get done.

That's how it's different. It was do it fast or not at all.

This just re-inforces my feeling that we need to consider that this is a
HOBBY for almost all of us. This means that we have limited time. This means
that sometimes we may need to post in a hurry, or may be so distracted by
other things which are more important in life that we may make an error of
wording. I feel very strongly that we need to make allowances for this (and
there are going to be repeat offenders, some of us like Larry are extremely
busy).

Of course the flip side of this is that we all are busy and don't have time
to read stuff which is of absolutely no interest to us. To this extent, we
should make an attempt to post in the right group, and people who continue
to post totally inappropriate stuff in the wrong group need to be shown the
error of their ways, but a poorly worded post which is intended to be on
topic for the group, but happens to touch someone's hot button ("auction"
seems to be a button not far different from the little red button beside the
president's phone), should not cause the poster to be more than mildly
reprimanded (beyond whatever flames it may attract).

Likewise, since all of our time is valuable, don't waste everyone's
bandwidth with public flames. If you feel someone stepped out of line,
e-mail them, or e-mail Todd (or if we get this idea of a set of moderators
or whatever, e-mail them), or post in lugnet.admin.general. If you find
yourself in a flame war, try to just drop it. You probably won't get the
last word anywise. If you really feel the need to get one more word in
publicly, post to lugnet.admin.general (or maybe we should have
lugnet.admin.last-word).

I think in most cases, people will make an effort to improve their ways if a
gentle but firm reminder is e-mailed to them in private by Todd (or a
designated representative). This doesn't put the person on defense (at least
publicly, they may feel a need to respond to the e-mail, that is fine, they
may also feel a need to say something publicly, fine, say it in
lugnet.admin.general).

Frank